1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rich...Rich....Rich!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Deano750Maxim, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Deano750Maxim

Deano750Maxim New Member

Quck question......

I have the carb torn apart again. I've read that the haynes manual has the location of the air jets in the wrong place. I never took them out when I cleaned them but it's been obvious that someone has been in the carbs before. I know I'm grasping for straws but maybe the previous owner put them in by the manual.

Which hole does the large air jet go?

Thanks for any info.

2. igormothra

igormothra New Member

This is a great thread... I am having exactly the same problem... I cleaned and synced the carbs and installed cone filters as opposed to the factory air box. it took me a ton of fiddling around to get the the idle to come down, but I finally got it idling at around 1100. However when I come to a stop she will idle around 2000 for a few moments and then settle back down. I also have the cracking and popping at about 6000. What I'm reading here tells me it's a matter of more adjusting....

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

large jet, small jet, screw hole for cover plate.

4. Deano750Maxim

Deano750Maxim New Member

Whoo hooo!!! The 2 air jets were switched! Off to the garage and put the carb back together. I'll post back with the results!

Thanks Wizard!

5. Deano750Maxim

Deano750Maxim New Member

Well guys, the bike is running like a champ. I don't have time right now to take it out on the road but it sounds perfect revving it up in the garage. I don't want to put too many miles on it until I get the oil changed. It really smells like fuel.

The person that cleaned the carbs last time must have used one of the manuals that had the info wrong. It was probably the reason he got rid of it in the first place since it didn't run right. His loss is my gain! :)

Thanks for all your guys help and I'll make an update once I get it on the road.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

According to my notes you are the fourth Member to have found those Air Jets reversed.

Treat yourself top a brand new set of Plugs and start doing a "Living Plug Chop"

Don't treat the Pilot Mixture Screws like they need much movement to do corrections to Mixtures.

7. Maxoom

Maxoom New Member

I'm having a similar problem with fouled plugs recently, so I'll be checking the air jets.

Before I looked into this thread, I was considering a hotter spark plug. I'm currently using NGK BPR7ES, and was wondering if a switch to NGK BPR6ES would work.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Maxoom