1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

this Newbie cleaned his 650's carbs...but.........hum.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mattzmojo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mattzmojo

mattzmojo New Member

Hello, Matt the newbie here. I recently bought an 81 Maxim 650.
    It was not running exactly right...it would idle low until it would stall.

I spent part of Saturday cleaning my carbs this past weekend. Which I would like to say seemed kind of daunting until I came across this fantastic site.

The problem is , my bike is running somewhat worse.....higher RPMs.
    I turned the idle adjuster to lower the RPMS at idle and that did not do it.
    I made sure that the cold start/ choke is closing completely. I did notice on a test drive that I felt a puff of air on my left leg which lead me to believe that the rubber boots that are located between the engine and the carberator are leaking..

Assuming the boots are leaking, is this symptomatic of a rough running engine and higher rpms?

Do you think that I may have to syncronize the carbs?

I plan on doing so just want a general consesus. What tool can I use to sync the carbs...

I have seen on this forum people who made their own tool for the synchronization. Does anyone have such plans I can use to build my own? Where do I get the guages?

Thank you from the greenhorn.

Matt :)

2. jgb1503

jgb1503 Member

3. PaulT

PaulT Member

Hi Matt,
    Let me first say, I'm a newbie too & haven't yet pulled my carbs, but experience and the incredible amount of knowledge here leads me to this:

YICS Tool - http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=586.html

Check the boots with an UNLIT propane torch. If they are leaking, it would give you a higher idle. Start the bike, with the torch open (but not lit) run it around the boots and see if the idle jumps at all.

If that seems ok, check the current synch of the carbs, could be off somewhat

4. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

In my opinion use a single vacuum gauge over the DIY manometer. I attempted the manometer first and found it to be way to sensitive if the carbs are out of sync. It may be good for fine tunning but I have not put it back on to test that theory.
    Search for RickCoMatic's Old School single vacuum guage syncing and follow that. It worked wonderfully for me. You can get the guage at Sears for ~$20. I got mine at Advance Auto for ~$25. My boots are fine but I have read that you can coat them with "liquid electric tape" to seal them up if you do find that they are leaking.
    Look up Chacal, the XJ parts man on this forum for the YICS tool. Good price and fast shipping. You can make your own but finding the right size and type of silicon hose might take more time than you want.