1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No Key

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sremick, Jul 15, 2008.

1. sremick

sremick New Member

I picked up an 82 XJ650RJ as a parts bike. One small problem, it has no keys. I'd like to be able to be able to use the gas tank, the seat/helmet lock and the chain lock from it. Any idea how to get a new key? Or some other way to salvage these parts?

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

take the tank to a locksmith, they will make a key.

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Take the ignition switch out on the bottom there should be a number starting with a letter. That is your key code. Take the switch to a good locksmith and they will cut you a new key.

4. osage

osage Member

I had the same situation with my 750, I pulled the switch and took it to the local Yamaha dealer. He cut me 2 keys from the code on the switch for $6.50 total

5. sremick

sremick New Member

sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help.

6. osage

osage Member

removing the switch is kind of a PTA, tight working quarters and all, but not real bad with the right tools and some time.

7. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Kinda off topic but here it goes. The PO had lost the key to my bike and used a screw driver as key. IE: the ignition switch it all busted up. He later found the key and that is what I use. The switch looks like, well, lets just say it doesn't look good. Is it possible to get a replacement switch then have it rekeyed for the the key that I have? The key matches everything else on the bike and I would like to keep all on one key.

8. osage

osage Member

Yes any decent locksmith will be able to rekey the switch.
    They use several different switches and key blanks, just get a switch that uses the same key blank and you will be fine.

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You could get a replacement switch and then remove the lock mechanism (tricky, but it can be done) and swap out the lock cylinders between the two switches. Then you have a new switch unit with your original lock/key.............

10. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

So not to steal any thunder but my maxim X has two keys one for the ignition and another different key for the tank, seat and helmet lock is this not correct for the year? The PO did say the original owner wrecked the bike and had to replace the forks.