1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I nearly died a firey death...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DianCecht, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

So... it doesn't end. I just went out to have the wife snap a shot of the bike back together and running, and as I was about to take off, the bike started bogging...

Then my wife pointed to a puddle... then the bike erupted into a seven foot fire ball while I was still on it... Of course, everyone across the street was watching as I riverdanced to extinguish my jeans. The fire was put out, and the damage is minimal for the amount of time it was burning - upon first glance anyway... Intake boots are bubbly, but I have spares - fuel line is burnt, but that's no big deal - airbox is in surprisingly good shape - battery was untouched... Back tire is burnt up, but needed replaced anyway...

What the hell happened? My wife is a bit distraught that I nearly blew up, haha - I personally think it was one of the coolest visuals I've ever been involved with... HOWEVER, I really thought I was done. Quite a disappointing evening. Any input would be appreciated, and I haven't had the balls to fire it back up and trace a leak.

P.S. Used Kevineleven's truck bed liner idea on the tank - the stuff survived a fire... Impressive.

2. KAOS

KAOS Member

DAMN!!! I'm glad u made it thru that sh!t..

3. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

It's sad... I just come to expect it. I just want to ride the bloody thing down the road... I imagine I've pushed that off a bit further. And I'll just about bet that once the fuel issue is addressed, something else will happen. Such is life... you wake up - the day goes well - come home and wrench - goes well - go for a ride - AND BOOM! Fireball engulfs you and sets your legs and bike on fire... I believe Socrates wrote about this issue.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Got any pix?

Some kid with a Cell Phone?
    Security Cameras nearby ... anything?

Next time ... Drop and roll, OK?
    Get the fire on you out!

Glad you can share the tale with us, from the comfort of your home, instead of being on an I-V in the Burn Unit!

5. danno

danno Member

I guess now we know who has the HOTTEST XJ bike. Glad to hear you're okay,though!

6. KAOS

KAOS Member

LOL!! :twisted:

7. yamyboy

yamyboy Member

i hear the petcocks are a bad disine mine was stuck open from rust in the tank and look to see if the floots in the carbs arnt stuck open. Glad your ok.

8. KAOS

KAOS Member

yamyboy I love ur Avatar.. "Off topic" But its SWEET!! :twisted:

9. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

It was hot... I had to cut a couple inches off my hair this morning... I was a bit disappointed that my wife didn't get a picture... It was definitely one for the album. I'm going to take it outside this afternoon and see if I can't figure out what happened. I'll keep everyone posted, and if it blows again, I'll ready the camera.

10. Altus

Altus Active Member

Well first you need to find out where the fuel came from - then we can start helping out. REALLY glad to hear you're not par-boiled.

11. bill

bill Active Member

WOW :eek: makes anything I've been through with my bike trivial. Glad you are OK.

12. jgb1503

jgb1503 Member

Too bad you didn't have any marshmallows with you!

Seriously though - glad you are ok! Because of this, I am now keeping a fire extinguisher with me in the garage and in the drive way when working ;-)

Keep us posted!

13. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Here's a link to Phil's fire

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... art=0.html

Phil didn't give a detailed explanation. How many of us are letting the bike idle to warm up, while we go back in the house for something? :eek:

You know you HAVE to paint flames on it now ! !

14. wraith0078

wraith0078 Member

I had a puddle of gas under mine one day. Turned out to just be a stuck float.

Glad you're okay. Make sure you've got the weenies and marshmallows ready next time. :lol:

15. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

Damn... Poor phil... I am so thankful I took it out of the garage... Though if I were in the garage I would have noticed the puddle a lot quicker. I wish I had a picture of the actual fire... I'll take some pictures at some point today, when I try to trace what happened... I also found where I riverdanced on the sidewalk, as part of my boot is on the cement, but the overall damage is truly insignificant compared to what it could have been. The fire extinguisher is a must, I had to run inside to get a trash can, run to the back hose to fill it, and then run back up front to extinguish the flame. Took a couple trips too. One of the guys at the bar was the local fire fella, and he went and nabbed the truck and brought it over just in case it reignited. A drunk fire fighter - my life is in good hands, haha.

16. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

Oh, and I absolutely dig the flame paint job idea... certainly would mean something now... haha. I am also glad I am not a shorts guy... always jeans... otherwise I'd probably have given myself a Brazilian burn job... The flames went up my legs, and wouldn't you know the first thing my wife said was, "You could have set your b@lls on fire!"

17. Robert

Robert Active Member

Phil was working on the bike at the time and it wasnt' running. He failed to keep in mind that a gas water heater and an enclosed space are a bad combo, especially without a fire extinguisher handy (subtle hint folks).
    On a brighter note, his pals bought him another bike that had come up for sale and was in beautiful condition. Nice to have friends like that.

18. DianCecht

DianCecht Member

My friends laughed... So did my Dad... before he shared the story of his old shovelhead setting fire at the carb... I have the carbs off now, they were gummed up with burnt stuff, but damage still appears minimal... Still confused as to what happened. My wife said the drip sped up considerably in the couple seconds the puddle was noticed... so it went from no leak to small leak to pouring leak in a minute or so. There doesn't seem to be gas in the oil... the petcock seems fine, and the fact the tank didn't blow is a testament to that... the 90 degree filter I purchased is a bubble of melted plastic, but the lines attached to it are in pristine order... and the drip was coming from that side... perhaps a faulty filter and a bad case of wrong place, wrong time?? Any thoughts? I'm not sure that much gas could have come from there so quickly without my notice. The line seems to be without leak, but one of the clamps was pretty loose. The gas didn't come from the air box - I really don't think the carbs were to blame. It also didn't come from the exhaust, which was a problem I had when a couple cylinders weren't firing due to faulty plugs. Occam's Razor... I am theorizing the fuel line failed somehow...

19. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Not sure of the technical name, but if the o-rings on the carb to carb fuel lines go, you'll get a steady flow of gas flowing out between the carbs. Which runs down the heat shield, and then onto the heat.

20. feelingold

feelingold Member

I’ve had 2 instances with this bike that were dumb and my fault. (I’m knocking on my wooden head as I type this that it didn’t turn out badly) I sometimes run the bike low on fuel and have to flip to reserve while ridding and in doing so flip it to prime instead. While riding, the bike reacts the same but if parked that way my floats get over run by the pressure from the fuel in the tank (worse after a fill up) and she leaks a bit. Now once I was at home and opened the garage door to a wave of gas smell easy to detect, clean her up aired out garage no worries. The 2nd time I was out for a ride maybe an hour in hit the reserve (so I thought) Stopped for fuel. Road another ½ hour and she started to bogg down like it was fuel starved. Then I caught a whiff of gas as she shut down. I hopped of to notice that my fuel line had popped of the carb stack and because I had flipped it to prime (instead if reserve)gas was pouring on my hot mill. I flipped the lever to normal and ran 20 yards down the road. I sat it out till the bike had a chance to cool before going back. Sooooo now I always check that lever.