1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My new Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MalcolmBliss, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. MalcolmBliss

    MalcolmBliss Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Rolla, Missouri
    Hello and greets to all,
    I recently bought this bike from a guy who could not get it to run right. The carbs are in pretty bad shape. He told me he took them apart and cleaned them out(i'm scarred to look in them) and the bike will not run without the choke on but when it does run, the rpms ramp up to about 4000 and I have to shut her down. It does start though, that is a plus. I believe I'm a victim of a persons ignorance about the carbs and they need a bench sync and possibly another rebuild. Any opinions would be appreciated. Other than that, it needs to be cleaned up badly, new air filter as he was unaware that the bike had one, oil change and the tach reacts slow. I suspect the tach is a victim of corrosion and hopefully can be taken apart and cleaned up with some WD or the like. Anyway I'd like to say hello to all and hopefully I'll have a positive update on this bike soon!
    Greets! :D
     

    Attached Files:

  2. 85MaximXX

    85MaximXX Member

    Messages:
    780
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    S.W. michigan
    not a bad looking bike by any means hopefully the guy didn't mess the carbs over too bad for ya. This site has almost all the resorces you will ever need to keep that bike running like new.
     
  3. leondegrance

    leondegrance Member

    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Bench and Vaccuum Sync'ing will definitely fix your run away RPMs.
     
  4. MalcolmBliss

    MalcolmBliss Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Rolla, Missouri
    Thank you for the input. I have learned a lot from these forums and have done a lot of research on the carb procedures. I previously owned a 1980 CB750 Super Sport and had some problems with those carbs as well, but I chemically treated that problem. It missed a lot and had erratic idle. So I ran at that time, Amaco Ultimate and used Techron fuel system cleaner and after much riding, they smoothed out on their own. I guess I got lucky. :)

    I hope to have a bike that performed like that one, it was a screamer.
     
  5. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    make the bike your own, by: change oil & filter, change air filter, new plugs. get the carbs off clean a sync. drain the fuel tank & flush it. fit in-line fuel filter, if already fitted fit new. swap out the fuse box for blade type.
    good luck, have fun & welcome.
     
  6. MalcolmBliss

    MalcolmBliss Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Rolla, Missouri
    Thanks Wiz, I am concerned about the carbs because I asked the local dealer about the problem and they told me I probably had a hold in one of the diaphragms. This is a big roadblock for me as I have a limited source of funds for this project. I have been reading and I found in these forums that sometimes they can be repaired with some sort of flexible adhesive.
    Is this effective and will it work for the rest of the summer until I can fix it proper?
    Thanks in advance,
    Malcolm
     
  7. MalcolmBliss

    MalcolmBliss Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Rolla, Missouri
    Here is another angle of what I like to call my "other" daughter. :D
     

    Attached Files:

  8. treybaxter

    treybaxter Member

    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Mississippi
    Great lookin bike. I'm sure you'll get it running like you want. These guys offer better advice than you'll get at most any shop, and chacal has most of the parts and all of the advice ;)
     
  9. MalcolmBliss

    MalcolmBliss Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Rolla, Missouri
    Any tips on what to use to clean up oxidized aluminum? It's mostly on the cylinder block that used to be painted black at one point. Just want to clean her up a bit. :D
     
  10. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    Malc' PM RickCoMatic, he has a fix for the diaphram, he is a splendid chap & will save you searching 4 ever more. Wiz.
     
  11. MalcolmBliss

    MalcolmBliss Member

    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Rolla, Missouri
    Thanks kindly, Wiz. I will do that!
     

Share This Page