1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Top Ten (?) Reasons not to trust anything the PO told you...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bigfitz52, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

PO said he put a new battery in "last year" He did, but never checked the water and it was nearly dry.
    PO said he just put a new chain on. 18K miles seemed a bit premature then I realized he didn't know about chain LUBE.
    PO had new tires put on by a bike shop, he took them the wheels. He screwed up reassembly of the rear axle so the nut was tight but the axle still flopping about.
    PO said he "removed" the sidestand switch--he did, cut the wires and spliced them...
    PO couldn't figure out why he had "fuse problems" (glad he didn't try to fix that) so he gave me a LOT of spare fuses...
    PO kept a rolled up shop rag under the seat, just behind the tool box tray, effectively BLOCKING most of the air intake...
    PO apparently didn't know you have to periodically change spark plugs...
    PO apparently unaware the bike has an air filter.
    PO kept the bike outside for the three years he owned it.
    And the number one reason: PO said it was his first motorcycle.

2. bill

bill Active Member

LOL I try to be honest when I sell something but I always tell buyers not to trust what I tell them - check it out for themselves. I don't even ask POs about much anymore.

Sounds like your PO was just clueless on maintenance. Mine supplied receipts from his mechanic so I knew a bunch of stuff that had been done. No receipt for a carb rebuild but I just went through them and I would like to shoot whoever touched them last.

There is an old saying - buyer beware!

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Good one ! I'll add a few. . .

PO said it was driven by a 75 year old man.
    PO said if he blows the carbs out and gets it to run, he's doubling the price next week. (on my Maxim, with 1 dead CYL)
    PO said those pods give you more horsepower.
    PO said everything worked (over the phone, long distance)
    PO said these bikes are going for about two grand.

4. jgb1503

jgb1503 Member

PO said I just had it running a few weeks ago but the battery died (after taking apart these carbs, there is no WAY this bike was running within the past few 'years')

PO said it's a simple fix I just don't have the time

LOL ;-)

5. chadwickm

chadwickm Member

One of MY personal favorites!

PO: "Bike is EXTREMLY RARE!"

6. danno

danno Member

If the PO refers to a bike as a Maxima,Maximum,or Sega,run like hell!

7. cturek

cturek Member

Re: Top Ten (?) Reasons not to trust anything the PO told yo

Where do I start!?

PO said just needs tires, battery and carbs cleaned. Yea right.

I've been fixing/replacing things for the last six weeks. The best one being the fuse box simply removed and the wires twisted together with electrical tape.

8. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

My PO whittled a piece of wood and stuck it in behind the "CHOKE" switch to keep it from closing all the way and tried to tell me it was the best way to adjust the idle.

9. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

LOL OUCH! My PO is awesome then! He freely admitted he pretty much broke everything he touched or attempted to do, and that he had no idea how reliable the bike was or could ever be. He did say he had left it outside for the past three plus years too, which there was no denying in any case. He did only charge me $300 thourh, and the bike is a rock now after some basic maintenance by me. I have felt fortunate every day since getting my maxim!

10. gitbox

gitbox Member

The PO of my 650 told me it just needed valves adjusted. Yeah, right. It had cracked rings on two pistons and the carbs were so full of crap it took me a month to clean them out. Also, someone had retapped several bolt holes on the frame and engine to SAE thread.

I bought it with 2 cylinders barely firing at half throttle. I guess I'm a sucker for a pretty bike.

11. maz43

maz43 Member

My PO is a buddy of mine. He was honest about it....
    All he did was change the oil and filter regularly.

12. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

i bought an xj1100 for 700 bucks that looked beautiful and fired right up with some ether in the intake, it stumbled on idle for a little while till it warmed up and i figured it was just a little cold. Then he tells me when it gets moving it really goes.... when i hopped on to take it home it took off like a rocket right away but about a mile down the road it starts smoking and sputtering...... what a jackass. Then when i take the seat off to check things it turns out there is no filter in the air box.

So my story ends with me only riding the bike for that one mile and thats about it.... unfortunately i am having some financial problems and cant spare the 90 bucks to fix the fuel lines. So if anybody wants to donate to the "running xj1100" fund please get in touch..

13. PaulT

PaulT Member

PO doesn't understand the difference between in/lbs and ft/lbs of torque
    PO doesn't own a torque wrench
    PO doesn't own any metric wrenches/sockets, and every nut & bolt proves it

14. Ease

Ease Member

PO failed to mention there was a quarter sized hole in the case...

PO gave me my money back!!

15. fwright625

fwright625 Member

I had no problems with my PO/ Bike. I paid $1200 for it. I had no idea about what to look for regarding problems. I think my only two questions was does it run and how do I start it up!?! Somebody recently asked me would I sale my XJ and my wife answered, "ur be better off asking how much he sale me for." The point I'm making is that even my wife know my bike is priceless! THANKS PO!!! :D

16. switch263

switch263 Member

How are fuel lines gonna cost you $90? On my 750 it was about $4 of new rubber fuel hose. From the harley shop at that.

On the other hand, my PO was pretty cool really. I rode up with him to look at the bike (he wouldnt let me commit to buying it until I had seen it and put my hands on it). I helped him load it onto his truck, we get heading home and I looked over and said 'Anything else I need to know about this bike before I write you the check?' He told me 'Nope, the way it sits is how it was when I put it away, 23 years ago.' After tearing into it, I believe him completely. Carbs were understandably gummed up, but so far no issues anywhere else on the bike, except the fuse panel.

17. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

8O WHAT!!

18. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Doesn't the 1100 have duel petcocks, hoses and sum kind of regulator?

19. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

I like your wife! She is a keeper.

I bought mine ~12 years ago. I have no idea what my PO said, but it has been a good ride. With the help of all of you I can keep it going.

20. Swampfox

Swampfox Member

I do protest to a first time bike owner being the primary cause of all these problems. Sure, there is a steep learning curve but with effort and advice then first time owners are perfectly capable of taking good care of a bike. Its more about actually caring for the bike than it is being a first time owner.