1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fat front tire

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by yamama, May 3, 2008.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

while you guys were typing, i was out testing, see general lounge post
    by the way a bigger tire is not recommended on my bmw, they sat it makes for sluggish handling

3. ryan_975

ryan_975 Member

Since I live in the real world where the laws of physics apply, you're absolutely correct. By the way, which world (interpreted as maybe "dimension") do you live where physics aren't the same? I know a few scientists that might like to talk to you.

Mostly correct. but if there was a bulge in the tire you'd have more to worry about the balance. Where you went wrong though is that there is no such thing as centrifugal force. There are centripetal and inertial forces; the two combined are what people mistakenly call centrifugal force.

No they wouldn't stop and drop to the bottom. They'd contiue to travel around the inside of the tire until the forces of friction and gravity slow them down enough to stop at or fall to the bottom. To simply drop to the bottom when the tire stopped would violate the law of physics that state "An object in motion stays in motion until acted upon by another force." It's Newton's first law of motion, something taught in elementary schools of most of the US and I'm sure other countries.

Sand particles themselves don't have enough mass to impact the balance of a tire. Collectively, the aren't responsive enough to react to an imbalance to actually stabilize the system.

4. tomestl

tomestl Member

When you stop do all of the beads settle to the bottom of the tire? Does it feel out-of-balance each time you proceed from a stop, and balance as you accelerate? Any noticeable difference under braking, or braking and cornering?

5. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Hmmmm... Couldn't you do the same thing by putting a few ounces of water in your tire?

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Not likely.

It would be very possible to have the water heat-up and cause a mishap.
    I don't know what kind of temperatures are generated inside a tire.

But, I do know that you can expect the tire to expand if you are running it fast on a paved surface. And with no way to cool the tire it wouldn't surprise me to have the water find its way out ... on way or another and render the experiment a bad idea.

7. tomestl

tomestl Member

8. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Bested by science again... Curses!!

9. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Water might be a bad idea.
    The inards of the wheel for one.
    The inards of the wheel...rotting??
    The valve stem corrosion
    If it gets hot enough it will evaporate :D
    AND mosquitos breeding ;)
    IDK anything about water in tires, BUT those are the reasons I wouldnt try it first.

OTOH, Guys this is a forum for discusion and civil conversation. Please try to treat everyone as well as you expect to be treated. For others they see these arguements INSTEAD of the facts they prefer to learn. NOBODY wins when there are arguements back and forth.
    Just the way I THINK it should be done like this(My opinion is ONLY my opinion and I try to rarely bring it up w/ thousands of strangers)

A simple statement like "They worked for me...1979 XYZ Bike 123 Tire"
    Or "They totally messed up my handling...1990 LMNO Bike 534 Tire"
    OR "My physic teacher said it wont work because.........."

This is supposed to be a place to SHARE knowledge, and EVERYONE is intitled to their opinion(within reason...Harley boys ;) )
    If I was new to this forum and I saw arguements going on I would think...
    1) If I ask a question, will they even answer it?
    2) What happens if someone starts arguing with me, will this be a comfortable place to visit?
    3) I might discount the info given by someone because now they appear submisive, but they know TONS of valuble information.

I am not singling anyone out here, this thread is just the straw that broke the camel's back. I have seen other threads that kinda upset me. I really came in here to get info about A FATTER TIRE, then the atmosphere change quite quickly to unsavory subjects.

LETS ALL BE FRIENDS OR ATLEAST AQUAINTENCES :)

[/rant]

10. gcrick

gcrick Member

Dyna Beads

question for those who have bought/tried Dyna Beads:

Do they appear to be simply styrofoam beads? I'm wondering if we might try regular plastic or foam beads.

11. tomestl

tomestl Member

Re: Dyna Beads

Website says they are a 'high-density ceramic'.

12. Danilo

Danilo Member

Sand bits?
    There is little reason ANY Moto tire needs more than 5 gramms balance weight. Big lumps 'o lead mean yer tire mounter is a Moron or you wheel is dangerously damaged.
    Tire come from the assembly line with 2 marks one is Tire's Light spot the other is the tires hi spot. Any tire installer with any idea of their job will place the tire on the rim to best advantage.. ergo the 5 gram rule of thumb.. which should be all a decent mounting/balancing job will end up with.

Kinda throws the need for errr.. Dyna Beads.. right out the window.

13. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I use them and they work great. Everyone can hate on the idea for whatever reason they choose, but to put it quite simply--- THEY WORK. You cannot tell they are in there in any negative way, and I've been to 116mph with them. Disbelievers can go straight to the tire shop for a mount and balance.

14. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Imay go to a fatter front tire anyway. I've done it before and it didn't seem to make any big difference in sluggish handling as stated.
    The Dyna beads sound interesting. I may just use packing peanuts and keep the tire from going flat!!! LOL

15. toastturbo

toastturbo New Member

Re: beads

I just went through all the tire balancing threads. It's like the fricken republicans and the democrats. I never heard of dyna beads until a week ago when they where mentioned in some other thread. I always mount my own tires and balance by resting the axle between two kitchen chairs. So I figure what have I got to lose, how accurate can that be. I had no weight on the rear 2 fives and a 10 on the front stem. Dump $12 bucks worth of beads in, can't tell the difference. Simple cheap I'm convinced.