1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil light coming on, full of oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by weoxstan, Jul 30, 2008.

1. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

On monday I was leaving the gym and noticed that the oil light was on. I stopped and checked the oil level when I got fuel, had it on the center stand and waited several minutes, it was about half way between the lines on the sight window. A little low of where It was when I changed the oil, but still in the safe range. When I started it to leave the gas station the light was out. I figured it was using a bit of oil and when I got home I looked for a leak or spots on the garage floor and didn't find anything. Maybe a little around the valve cover gasket. I topped off the oil and yesterday when I pulled into my garage I noticed the oil light was on again, checked the oil level and it was full, just like I had left it on Monday evening.

I have replace the fuse box but maybe there is another connection that is bad, or maybe the level sender is dying. Any ideas on where to start?

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Check to see if your sender is grounded anywhere other than through the sensor. Unplug the sender and check for a light.
    If the sensor is grounded with a full sump, your sender is stuck or broken. I'd try to use some Marvel Mystery Oil, SeaFoam or ChemTool in the oil before the next change and see if that doesn't clean it up.

3. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

what he said^^

4. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Next time it is on check that your headlight is on. On occasion my start button sticks or something the oil light stays on and the headlight goes out. I have flushed it with wd_40 then contact cleaner and it is better but still happens once in a while.

5. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Thanks for the tips, I will check everything and post back.

6. kayaker

kayaker Member

Same problem, I replaced the sensor. Easy fix, but ended up taking the exhaust pipes off to get it in. Ended up being a bigger job, but solved the problem.

7. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Kayaker:

What did the sensor cost you? Do you have stock exhaust?