1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

the headache (my maxim 550)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by goattank, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

bike is looking great, are those home made pod filters? if they are how did you make them?

2. goattank

goattank New Member

I know Chacal, just busting some chops.

The pods are homemade with double layed vacuum bags and $1 pvc fittings (1 5/8id if i remember correctly) I bought at home depot. The bags are microfiltron deals that ran me 5$ for three bags and one bag makes 15-20 filters depending on how you cut them. I had to dremel the insides a bit but they press on rather snug. So for $6 you should have enough filters to last for many years.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Unless they're blue................ :D

4. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

so where would i get bags like that? home depot? are they like bags for vaccums or something?

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

What's with the "tire warmer" exhaust? You got alot done for $500.

I think a 10 second big block Corvair would be cool !

6. goattank

goattank New Member

Yeah, just some stardard dirt devil bags with the extra liner. I'll post some pics on how I did it for you Deathmetal.

I like my tires warm! Haha. Well I have a weird affinity for projects so I had a bunch of stuff like the metal and fiberglass laying around so I'm sure if I really broke it down into total cost, time and what not it'd be way more than the $500 mark. As for the corvair I'm leaning toward full frame, straight axle gasser with a small block and some meat in the rear. A mass fabrication undertaking a little beyond my skills however well worth the experience.

7. pjb03

pjb03 Member

Cool bike, Bro!

If that is a Supertrapp headpipe on your bike, which I think it is, I'll pay you good money for it if it's in nice shape. I have other 4-1's (Kerkers) that I will gladly trade. One is Black and has never been on a bike.

The reason I'm wanting a Supertrapp is because I am just a headpipe away from finishing my Seca 550. I'm restoring it exactly like my best friend's who I lost almost 25 years ago. He was hit head on by a cage driver who crossed the yellow line.

The bike will be going to California and will be in front of his grave on the 25th of February to remember him on the 25th anniversary of his passing. I want him to know that I still miss him and I never forgot about him.

I'll give $200+ either a black, or chrome Kerker. One is new, one is like new.

8. goattank

goattank New Member

I have no clue what the headpipe is. Are there any ways to determine this?

I am having one issue with it, around 5000 or so rpm it stumbles a bit then rips through to 8000rpm. I'm thinking maybe my number 4 cylinder is running a bit rich because I can smell that rich unburnt gas goodness or I'm leading toward cam shims being a bit off because it is a bit noisey on that side of the engine. Any pointers?

9. goattank

goattank New Member

I'd like to add to the weird dilema, so from 4300rpm to about 5500rpm its a bog monkey while crusing however if you get on it from the start it rips through the entire rpm just fine? Any suggestions?

10. goattank

goattank New Member

Alright, popped the plugs and there were a nice tan/brown color all the way around. I found a sneaky little vacuum leak in the carb boot, which I've temporarly solved with some plasti-dip spray (stuff rocks, we'll see how long its lasts though). I also went from 93, to 87 and that seemed to make the biggest difference. Anyways, now I need shocks that are an inch or two longer, kind of banking my fender right now. Anyways, may you all ride in safety!

11. pjb03

pjb03 Member

I have some nice boots for you if you need them. I also may have some shocks that may work.

Measure the width of the collector. A Kerker has a 2" and a Supertrapp has a 2 3/4".