1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Throttle sticking

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pbr_street_gang, Jun 18, 2006.

1. pbr_street_gang

pbr_street_gang Member

Hey everybody,
    I got a few problems with my 81 seca 550 but, this one is the most serious. My throttle won't snap back when I twist it. What's a fix for this, lubing the cable? Something else? How would I lube it if that might be a solution? Thanks for your help.
    Have fun out there.

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Definately lube it. I would closely inspect the the throttle shaft for bending or binding. The springs on it are what retract the throttle. Do you have a throttle lock like the Vista Cruise? These can wear and bind the throttle also. Make sure the cable is routed correctly and that the cable is not frayed or kinked. Just below the throttle cable where it connects into the bracket above the carbs and then into the lever on the throttle shaft is a culprit. The lever the cable ends into can bend and bind on the carb bodies. This is real common after removing the carbs.

3. phred

phred Member

There is a little tool you can get from your stealership that clamps onto the cable end. Attach WD40 tube and spray away. If there is even the slightest chance that the cable is too bad to fix, you should replace it. A stuck throttle is not a joking matter.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I had my Vista-cruise hose me on the FZR the other day. I cut it off. Those little cable luber tools are a must for anyone's tool box. Good coverage Blue, I think that pbr_street_gang should be able to nail it down with the list you threw up. PBR, if your of a mind, I'm fairly local and would be willing to assist. PM me with your particulars, I'll get in touch with you.

5. pbr_street_gang

pbr_street_gang Member

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the help. I'll get that cable luber tool and get in there and see what's happening. The bike was really neglected so I have a feeling lubing it up will help things.
    See you on the road. . .

6. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Glad to hear that. I have been thinking about buying one but didn't know if they were worth it or just another gimmick product. Thanks for the heads up.

7. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Sometimes you just have to remove the turkey choke and let 'em have it with both barrels. 8O