1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1980 KZ750 G

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got a call from a friend of mine that runs the recycle/junk yard close to me. I have told him to keep an eye out for old bikes for me in more or less good shape. It happened yesterday, he called and we came to a deal so they are in the shed.

The first one I am working on is a 1980 KZ750G, bike seems to be almost all there, sure no side covers and somehow the bars are all bend to hell. No damage to anything but the seat, and no side panels.

Got her on the table and took the carbs off, made sure the cylinders were not locked up by pulling plugs, hit each one with a little BP blaster and let is sit. I got the starter fluid out and gave her a shot...she fired right up, so the work will really begin now. I will get some pics on here soon.

The carbs were not too bad, one has a busted float post and another had a missing main jet, can't seem to find it either...hmmm. Will clean them up and see how she runs before I do the brakes ect.

The other bike is a 1979 KZ650 that seems to have no compression...

Franz likes this.
  2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

There is collectibility in both those machines.
    The 750 twin is now unique and the 650 is a smaller Z1.

Minimutly likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The 650 has the slide carbs on it, that should be fun. Both of them fired now with starter fluid and being battery jumped. The 650 kick start will not engage, thought things might be really buggered up but rear wheel will turn motor in hear. Waiting on new main 125's for the 750, one was missing from a carb...strange...also one of the over flow tubes is messed up. Saw vid of how to fix with JB weld and another tube over the top, might have to try that. Gas tank is soaking with evapo rust, that will take a while but this heat we are having should help it work.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The 650 gas tank finally came clean today...that was a lot of soaking and movement. I have some sea foam in the oil to clean it up a bit. Will have to get some black duct tape to temp the seat up. Will have to rig up some rear turn signals, the stem on the left OEM broke at the threads. I could try to MIG is like I do tin, but not too sure if it will hold.

Put it on the center stand and ran it through all the gears today. The back bakes is sticking a little will have to work on that. Besides that, I am looking forward to the first test ride. Seems to be a snappy little bike. I do like the carbs on it, not the CV type, the slides are connected to the throttle. Once I get some tape on it and a new battery in her I will post more pics.

Now I have to decide if I want to sell it the way it is, as a running project bike? Or, do I put in the time and paper work to get a bonded title for this bike as well?