1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1980 XJ650 - LED turn signals

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by das5150, Aug 28, 2014.

1. das5150

das5150 Member

Nice...
    Yeah I clipped the wires and had no signals at all, so had the diodes in hand, hooked them up and all is well! Independent L & R signals! Indicator light isn't working, but maybe that's burnt out? I'll check that this weekend. Even if it doesn't work, that's fine- I can see the actual signals from my perch.
    My neighbor is a huge British/Jap bike guy straight from Wales and he is a machinist, so my intention is to just leave the bike in this shop this winter... guaranteed valve/carb tweeking! He can't help himself. Plus he has all the colortune/carbtune stuff and the nicest tools! They sure make quality stuff in the UK.

2. Bruce_M

Bruce_M Member

Nice job, glad it works. It's a bit odd that you would have no signals with the wires clipped because the gauge light is just an extension off the circuit. The signal wires are tied to the R/W wire in the cluster, but it's also tied to the ignition wire after the fuse box. So it should always have power. Oh well. I've rewired all my bikes and don't retain the stock gauges or the stock signal circuit configuration. I usually cleave out the signal/brake/horn circuits so trouble shooting is a bit easier down the line.

Could be the bulb, easy test, or it's now not getting the proper amperage because of the flasher/LED turn signals. Although I have run LED/Incandescent mixes before with no problem. Might be good to swap the cluster bulb for an LED. Might also be worth it to add a resistor before the LED to match the overall output on the new circuit. This protects the LED. Probably about 10k would work, but there are resistor calculators online.

Got to love Wentworth and the dark art of Lucas electrical systems. I've had a couple Triumphs and a BSA, really nice machines. Went to drool over the new T-100s the other day. And then there is the new Moto-Guzzi Stone... I best go now...

3. das5150

das5150 Member

"Positive earth??? Take your witchcraft elsewhere sir!"

Yep we are all good. Going to slap on my intake boots this weekend (ordered yesterday morning, delivered this afternoon!) and I should be good to go for a while.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail. ... _id=120982

4. das5150

das5150 Member

What type of bulb is in there? Just the usual T-10 type? I have some LED replacements from when we went full solar power in our camper....

5. Bruce_M

Bruce_M Member

Positive earth /// good for lighting strikes and the most 24V British army vehicles...

S.C.I has good stuff Z1 Enterprise in NY as well. I always pay the extra for global shipping and never have to pay a landing charge.

Almost any LED will work. 3.3V minimum to illuminate and then you have to determine the max capacity. Usually around 6V but automotive LED are rated for 12-14V. You should be able to pull up a spec sheet pretty easily. From a quick search if you are using a T10 automotive LED you are good to go.

Small LEDs are usually rated 3, 5 and so on... hence the resistor in most setups. There are probably resistors in your new turn signals. The cludge test is to hook the LED to a 12V battery and wait a minute. Still illuminated...good to go. If not replace with a larger capacity bulb....

6. das5150

das5150 Member

7. das5150

das5150 Member

Nevermind.... you can see the resistors in the goddam picture. Haha!

8. das5150

das5150 Member

Now... say a guy really liked the idea of having all 4 as running lights when not being turn indicators. How hard is that to make happen?

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

tell that guy he needs to do more riding and less thinking

10. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I had the same idea, and (at least with my setup) it seemed to interfere with the flashing rate big time, despite being electronic. So I just stuck to signal lights only.

However, you could consider adding totally new lines and auxiliary lights - completely independent of the signal lights...

11. das5150

das5150 Member

Best comment I have received. Done! Haha... Thanks, I needed that.

12. DenCon509

DenCon509 Member

The Novita EP34 has the correct polarity.