1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ 650 Maxim Cafe Racer in Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Matt R, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Matt R

Matt R New Member

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/5457264216.html

For sale is a 1981 XJ 650 Maxim cafe racer style bike. Selling because I am in college and need the money. list of upgrades is as follows.
    -bigger jets
    -rear tire to front forks conversion
    -rear shocks (bike is lowered 2")
    -Harley Mustang seat
    -Anodized aluminum clip on handlebars
    -adjustable levers
    -custom 4 into 1 exhaust (super loud)
    -chrome speedo
    -blade style fuse box
    -rear LED tail light and turn signals

bike needs:(I can fix these before sale, but price will go up)
    -shorter Kick stand
    -turn signal relay installed ( i have one)
    -speedometer cable adjusted
    -choke cable
    -maybe a battery
    Comes with 2 new Kenda tires, a dunlop tire, a box of spare parts and a spare frame. Send me an email with questions or setup a time to come check the bike out, I'm open to trades for a drz400 or a wr250, thanks for looking. 1030151325.jpg 1030151325a.jpg 1030151325a.jpg 1030151325b.jpg 1030151326.jpg 1030151326a.jpg 1030151326.jpg

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Why would post that you need to sell it cuz you need the money, but then say your open to trades? Doubt you'll trade up enough soon enough to hope for a better sale.....

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

just another hack job gone bad so he needs to dump it.
    $200 bucks but only if you still have the air box and rubbers. that's just because I like the white walls

whys the paint scraped off of the right side wheel hub?

is that a choped VW made into a hauler?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Matt R

Matt R New Member

haha ya know as I posted this I thought no one could possibly care that I contradicted myself but there you have it lol the first reply, I'm selling it because my parents won't let me ride on the road ( too dangerous) but i can ride in the dirt. I am in college and need the money just not that bad. Also, harsh XJ550H, not a hack job just needs some tlc(plus most of the mods were done by previous owner), the paint got rubbed off because the front conversion was installed wrong by the previous owner but I fixed it since then and never painted it. I do believe you mean "chopped" with two p's and yes that is an air cooled vw turned into a pickup. Sorry for the confusion guys.

5. hogfiddles

If you really want help with it.... I'm within an hour southeast of you----

6. Matt R

Matt R New Member

As much as I want to keep this bike, and believe me I do, my parents really do want it gone. I appreciate the offer of help and I would have gladly said yes last fall but my dad is ready to kill me cause of this thing haha.

7. hogfiddles

Just sent a private conversation to you--- check your inbox. Sending another, too....

8. XJ550H

you could sell that conversion wheel there are a few people here looking for it you can find the info under the thread that was posted by the person who sold them
    I do like the handle bar mod they are clamped to the top of the fork tubes correct?

no not harsh at all the bike is far from complete or finished going to be a headache to who ever buys it.

the bike is worth more as parts than as a whole

and really your going to charge to put in the directional relay?

the po did what he did but in the end you will become the po

I am always amazed at the cafe or bobber style bikes that show up for sale, well over priced because some one think the bike is worth so much more because they modified it.
    if you paid 2500 for that bike you got taken , schooled.

look at this bike it is a shame he will be hard pressed to get his "investment" in parts and paint or labor back
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/may-need-to-trim-the-herd-need-input.82868/#post-499672

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Something to think about (and it's personal, so please take this as a kindness). You are an adult in college and your parents are treating you like a child? That is something that you should be addressing at some point, unless you want them to be making decisions for you forever.

IchibanMotoFan likes this.
  10. Matt R

Matt R New Member

I don't have the stock front wheel to go back to and yes the handlebars are clamped to the top of the forks after dropping the forks through the triple clamp about 2"

I wouldn't say far from complete, I've ridden it and it rides great, its not showroom quality though haha.

I sorta realized after buying it that I have more money in parts than in bike sitting here which I didn't like.

not so much the relay haha and the other stuff not for much I just don't have time cause I'm in school at the moment.

and moe I 100% agree and have argued with them about this more than once but as long as I live in their house I guess I have to follow their rules.

11. boomerangg22

boomerangg22 Member

"have argued with them about this more than once but as long as I live in their house I guess I have to follow their rules."

Now there's a kid I like. Well done sir.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's one thing to require rules to be followed, whether rent is being paid or not. It's an entirely different matter telling an adult what he can and cannot own. I can't imagine telling my son that he can't keep something that he worked for.

13. XJ550H

that's what storage lockers are for. outta site outta mind

k-moe likes this.
  14. boomerangg22

boomerangg22 Member

It's not the fact that someone is being told what to do as an adult it's that they respect the parents.
    Sorry to be way off topic here.

15. XJ550H

i think its a deeper subject than my house my rules but thats a thread for another time and place.
    Respect for parents rules is important. my house its not staying here is ok . respect is a 2 way street.

k-moe likes this.
  16. MikeMatt

MikeMatt New Member

Harsh calling this bike a hack job gone wrong... not my style personally but it looks better than a lot of stock bikes I've seen. Not everyone is a professional fabricator with an endless budget, I think one of the biggest draws to these bikes are the ability to do whatever you want to it.

17. XJ550H

hack because he purchased someone elses unfinished project, and is now selling an unfinished project and wants finished money for it.hopefully he will not sell it to an unsuspecting new to the game rider who thinks he is getting a great deal for about a week or 2

bike is 1st and goal and is not going to make it into the end zone

and really 2500$ then states
    bike needs:(I can fix these before sale, but price will go up)
    -shorter Kick stand
    -turn signal relay installed ( i have one)
    -speedometer cable adjusted
    -choke cable
    -maybe a battery

customize your bike as much as you want but if it is not complete and even if it is good luck getting your money back. its just the way it is.