1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 xj650H carb problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by glennyboy, Jun 26, 2022.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Those of us who have tried using high-flow air filters can attest that more flow on the upstream side of a set of stock carbs make the engine run like crap. They are jetted lean already, then you let more air in and...

2. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

After 30 mile run today i decided to pull the carbs again going through everything ...remembering the surge/flat spot giving a little choke at 60mph it came back to life.... pulling away from stop giving throttle through gears it feels like gas on gas off ...no ignition back fire ... at hwy speed it turns into surge...

3. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Pulled the carbs apart complete, went through a can of carb cleaner....found nothing all jets and passages clear, at this point i decided to check valve clearances, all within specs, so that rules that out... could i be barking up the wrong tree here.... could this be a ignition coil problem..... i think i will replace the carb boots they do have some very small cracks on outside but not inside, strange thing is i could rev the engine all the way in my garage and no miss fire?

4. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

While i am waiting for the intake boots, getting back to the carbs i will bring the fuel level up to the bowl gasket, not 3mm below get rid of the mesh screen above the float needle valve, as i have the brass in line filter.. trying to eliminate the surge on hwy.... giving it steady throttle at 60 mph its surge on then off ..on off..... until i ease of throttle, checked coils 2.8 ohms ... Denso plug wires look good they are numbered ...

5. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

Test run today ran perfect i must have missed something on my carb cleaning, got it sorted second time pulling them apart again... thanks for the help

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  6. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

I was wrong there ..took it on a longer ride to put it to the test, pulls good 5/6k winding on the throttle on the freeway it will pull through a slight surge all the way to the 85mph gage limit...came home and changed the mixture adjustment, thought it sounded good at 1.5 turns out ..tested again this gave me surge all the time ... back to 2.8 turns out, went back to the first ride surge, live with that but its not right... going to replace the intake boots as other members have suggested

7. glennyboy

glennyboy Member

got it sorted look at my intake boots story...or saga