1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Maxim won't turn over

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nicko, Jan 12, 2013.

1. nicko

nicko New Member

I had it up and running for about 15 minutes, shut it off to run in the house, came back out 2 minutes later and it will not turn over. When I turn the key in the ignition, it won't go through the usual warning light check that it usually does, it seems to check how much fuel is there and freezes there. There is about 1/4 tank of fuel in it. Any ideas?

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

nicko,

Welcome to the club. Are you sure you're bike is Maxim and not a Seca? Post your model in your Signature so we will know which model you have. The only "warning" on the '82 Maxim when starting is the oil light will come on when the starter button is pushed then will go off once the engine starts unless the bike is low on oil. There is no fuel check light/gauge on the '82 Maxim. I think you're talking about the Seca. Someone will chime in soon.
    Hope this helps.

Gary

3. nicko

nicko New Member

It is 1982 750 Maxim. I'll post a picture of the warning lights all lit up in an hour or so. Thanks

4. nicko

nicko New Member

It is 1982 750 Maxim. I'll post a picture of the warning lights all lit up in an hour or so. Thanks

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

nicko,

My brain just finished "farting". 8O Sorry bout' that.

Gary

6. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Blown fuse or safety switch malfunction

7. nicko

nicko New Member

All 4 fuses check out OK. Could you tell me more about this safety switch? Or is there a wayto reset the computer system?

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

There's the neutral safety switch, so you can't accidentally start it while still in gear unless you're in neutral or have the clutch lever pulled in.

There's a kick-stand safety relay so that you can't start the bike with it in gear and the kick-stand down. More than likely, your kick-stand switch is sticking in a little bit. Try putting the bike on the center stand, move the kickstand a few times so you can see where the plunger is on the switch. Raise the Kickstand, then use a flat screwdriver see if you can pull the tip of the plunger out any farther. If you can, try to start it now. If it starts, there's your issue.

Dave F