1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 Maxim Build

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ElectroTech, Jan 7, 2017.

1. ElectroTech

ElectroTech Active Member

Using the K&N Drop in filter and if the snorkel is the upward facing little wedge thingy at the back of the airbox then yes.

2. ElectroTech

Also I didn't put any air in the forks when I rebuilt them and the front seemed to squat a lot I think I remember reading somewhere on here it should be around 17psi? Does anyone know of a 90° hand pump that fits? I know the one I had for the Harleys air ride was a straight on connection and the bars on this bike will get in the way. Guess you can remove the bars but that's kinda crappy to have to do that to adjust air shocks.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The K&N explains the bog. You're lean until you get on the mains. Bump the pilot jets up by 1 (maybe 2), or put in a paper filter.

I use a bicycle pump on my air fittings, and a pencil gauge to check the pressure (same kit as I keep on the bike for flats). For a solo rider you want between 6 and 12 psi. 17 psi is the maximum.

4. ElectroTech

I did bump the pilots by 1 and the mains by 1 when I got the K&N and exhaust. I'm at 41 and 112 now. Think the pilots need to go to 42? I colortuned it a little on the rich side of blue also.

5. k-moe

You have a bog, You have a K&N. An EMGO paper filter is around $15. Drop one in and see the bog go away.
    Since you did the K&N and the exhaust you should have bumped pilots and mains by two for the filter, and +4 for the 4-1 exhaust, for a total of +6 as a baseline (further bumps may be needed).
    For refrence I just took care of a Virago that had a lean bog due to an aftermarket exhaust being fitted (stock filter). I ended up bumping the mains by 2 and the pilots by 6 (yes that's a bit weird, but that's what the plugs told me to do) before it got back to running correctly.

Your color tune is great at idle. Your bog is not at idle, and the lean condition comes from the jets not being able to meter enough fuel when the incoming volume of air increases.

My suggestion is to buy an EMGO paper filter (they cost around $15) to replace the K&N and see if just that change is enough to get rid of the bog. The numbers say that it won't, but it's a lot less cost and work than changing the jets.

Have you done any mid or high-RPM plug chops to see if the mains are dialed in?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. ElectroTech

I have the paper filter that was in the bike when I got it, I'll give it a try. This is the first time I have ridden it and it was just up and down my back street for 5 minutes. I don't have tags on it yet, the title was transferred from the PO to my father in KY, still waiting on it to be mailed to him so we can transfer to me in Ohio and I can get tags.

7. ElectroTech

I followed Chacal's guide and did the math. It's a 4-2 exhaust not 4-1 and the K&N according to his write up I went +2 on the mains (112) and +1 pilot (41)

I must have thrown the paper filter that was in there away because I can't find it now so I ordered a new one to see if that will fix the problem. I got it out again today and rode around the sub division and it seemed worse than yesterday. Idles great and pulls like mad above 3K but 1-3K really boggy and I actually had to choke it a little to even get it rev up to 3k instead of wanting to die. I'll see if the paper filter fixes it and if not I guess i'll try and bump the pilots by 2 more up to 43 and see what that does.

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

What do the plugs look like?

9. ElectroTech

I'll pull them later or in the morning and take a look, gonna spend some time with the wife and kids tonight. They still only have about 10 minutes of riding, is that enough?

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I wouldn't do that (yet). It almost sounds like it's too rich (at least at off-idle). Try riding it around, after it has warmed up, with the choke just slightly on, and see if that off-idle to 3K bog goes away (or, gets worse). If it goes away, then it sounds like an internal carb problem (clogged passages, floats set way too low). If it gets worse, then you've got an overly-rich issue....

11. ElectroTech

Yeah that's what I did tonight, just barely choked it and the bog gets better or goes away.

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Okay, try it again tomorrow to make double-dutch sure that the application of choke "solves" the off-idle bog. If the result can be duplicated, then it's time to troubleshoot the LEAN off-idle issue.

k-moe likes this.
  13. ElectroTech

Verified a little choke solves the off idle bog.

14. ElectroTech

15. Ian Vanore

Ian Vanore Member

I just found this post and I'm loving it -- keep it up and please keep sharing the pics/projects. I'm putting together an order now to start working on my 82 xj650. You sir, are an inspiration.

ElectroTech likes this.
  16. ElectroTech

Thanks

17. ElectroTech

IMG_1583.JPG Also got my halogen bulb conversion headlight installed.

18. ElectroTech

So the temp got up above 60° here yesterday, and I now have temporary plates on the bike, so I decided to take her out for a little spin. I have installed the paper Emgo filter as K-Moe suggested to try and solve the lean off idle issue. As I start out it's still doing the same thing and bogging down low from 1-3K and a little bit of choke solves the problem. I get a mile or so down the road and it seems to be getting worse, I pull into someones driveway and play with the choke and the idle seems to be erratic, finally get it happy and moving again and it seems like it want to die while running. I thought I only put a little gas in it and I was on the way to the station so I flipped it to prime (have to get used to going the other way, my Sportster was back for reserve this is forward) anyways after I did this the bike ran beautifully, no more off idle bog and the choke completely off. So I don't know if I had a petcock issue or coincidence that it just finally warmed up all the way. I stopped and got gas, filled it up, and switched the petcock back to On and everything was still good, no off idle bog.

Rode around town for an hour or so until Dinner time and she ran ok, it seems like it doesn't pull as hard up top now with the paper filter installed and before with the K&N. Now that the bog is gone down low, I ned to check the plugs and I might switch back to the K&N and see if the bog returns and if the top pulls better.

19. Ian Vanore

Ian Vanore Member

Are you re-jetting with K&N? I saw some comments earlier about going 1 up but I was curious to see if you found a solution. I have K&N now but haven't re-jetted.

20. ElectroTech

Yes I went up to 41 pilot and 112 mains