1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ750 Maxim Build (Updates and Questions)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ750DB, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

One item on the clutch since you changed handle bars ,did you change the clutch cable length? Your bike looks great , this was the shot of the day you stopped by . If you ever want to try it I now have the Morgan 4 motion mercury carb synch tool. Cheers

Attached Files:

XJ750DB likes this.
  2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I wouldn't recommend a switch for the headlight control since the headlight is such an important safety feature as a day time running light. It would be more appropriate to just tie the R/Y to L/B and let the headlight be always on. Or, you could wire in a headlight relay like the other version of XJ's that use one leg of the alternator to energize a headlight latching relay - not particular easy to do.

Another issue might be the left control dimmer switch if that is also being changed to the R6 version.

First issue will be the self cancelling feature will no longer work and will have to be disabled.
    Second issue is the switch on the R6 appears to be used only for commanding relay coils, consequently it may not be rated for sufficient current to drive the headlight.

Not sure why you wanted the R6 controls but personally I would find some good stock controls.

XJ750DB and k-moe like this.
  3. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

I haven't gotten to any of the cables yet. I wanted to get the wiring sorted before tackling that. I'll definitely need to stop by again this summer for a tune up hopefully!

Safety definitely comes first for my bike so that is why I came here asking for suggestions. It sounds like I have a lot more research to do if I end up changing the controls. The knowledge of our members never ceases to amaze me. Thanks as always!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the current Yamaha method is to energize a relay from the alternator when it spins to close a relay and turn on the headlight(in bikes that have a headlight relay.
    this involve a diode to rectify the ac to dc voltage.

XJ750DB likes this.
  5. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

Spring Update: I ended up staying with the stock controls as suggested above. I did have to make a custom choke cable to avoid the control hitting the tank.

I have put a little over 500 miles with the new front end end controls. I am very happy with how everything functions and looks. The only thing left to do is paint the rear tire black when it warms up. If anyone has any questions about swapping the R6 forks or electronics feel free to ask.
    IMG_20190407_113646_193.jpg

Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Rear tire looks black to me haha

Jetfixer and XJ750DB like this.
  7. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

rear wheel* haha

8. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

I'm looking for some input on the attached images for 2nd gear. I pulled the engine and split the cases to fix my issue of second gear popping out and going into neutral. When I pulled the oil pan I found a lot of plastic debris, my primary chain has completely disintegrated.

These are the items I plan on replacing, is there anything else I should do while I have the engine out of the frame and taken apart? I did the top end service 2 summers ago and replaced the piston rings. The starter clutch also works without any issues. What kind of wear should I look for if it needs to be replaced?
    • Timing chain
    • Timing chain guides
    • Primary chain
    • Primary chain guide
    • Oil nozzle
    20200405_153319.jpg
    20200405_153259.jpg 20200405_153213.jpg 20200405_153149.jpg 20200405_153138.jpg

20200307_102827.jpg

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

yep, that's going to pop out of second alright. looks pretty bad, i don't think your fixing those dogs/slots with a Dremmel tool.
    timing chain, they say replace drive chains and sprockets as a set, does that hold true for timing chains too ?.....
    chain guides, sure, always a good idea
    Primary chain, don't think they ever ware out
    Oil nozzle, chacal has fancy new ones, your is probably beat to hell

XJ750DB likes this.