1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ750K Maxim Pilot screws (Preset)?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Weekend Warrior 1983, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Weekend Warrior 1983

Weekend Warrior 1983 New Member

Trying to lightly bottom out the pilot screws before removal for inspection and cleaning by counting the number of turns. As I turn them in, they "feel" bottomed out at different turn counts on each carb but when I "feel"that, I back out 1/2 turn then they easily be turned in deeper. As if the screws are self cleaning the threads. Some are easier to turn without False Bottoming than others. No tamper caps were found. Fairly clean outer side , even being exposed for "who knows" how long. I stopped the turning in to bottom process after reaching 8 full turns in! Question: As I continue to turn in until they bottom, do I need to count the turns? *8 or more turns can't be right. I'm ready to just take them all out, do all the right stuff to the Parts and threads, THEN turn in to bottom. Then back out 2 to 3 turns as other posts recommend?
    The Carbs are: Hitachi HSC32. 5G200 (from the manual).
    The bottom of the bowls read: HSC32-10A
    5G2 01

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just take them out, don't risk breaking the tips off or stripping them. they'll go in nice and easy after you clean them. reset to 2.75 - 3 turns out

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds like the threads are gummed/crapped up. lube and remove then after cleaning you may be able to run the mixture screw down or get a thread repair tap and clean threads if needed

4. Weekend Warrior 1983

Weekend Warrior 1983 New Member

Thanks guys. From what I have seen from cleaning, mainly the pilot jets from my other small engine gear, these have NEVER been cleaned! The bowl bottoms and enrichment passages, top to bottom were nearly impossible to get clean. but They ARE now shiny and passing cleaner unrestricted. After finishing the pilot screws, this week long job is done. The bike has not been started for ten years. Everything that needed to be done before first crank has been done. EVERYTHING! And from what I know now, thanks mostly to this site, there will be some tuning next but the rest SHOULD be easier and faster.