1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 xj700

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mcrwt644, May 30, 2007.

1. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

Just a maxim, not an x.
    I bought the bike relatively cheap, but it has issues as they all do, don't they? First, the starter switch doesn't work, interupts the headlight when hit, but doesn't kick the starter over. I wonder if a safety feature is engaged somewhere.

2nd-oil level switch I believe is shot. Oil light stays on even as I watch the oil bubble around through the sight glass as the bike 'runs'.

3rd-#1 cylinder doesn't fire at idle...my fathers x does the same. We believe it is the cdi. I have spark across all 4 cylinders.

4th-the engine that is in the bike came from a yard, and of course they bent or broke the exhaust studs off. I have one stud that is broken in the head, flush with the head.

5th-the old engine (11k mi) supposedly has a bad starter (crud, just had a brain fart)...starter...not relay, not starter motor...inside the case. so, how difficult is it to repair it? if you know what I am speaking of.
    I'd like to put the old engine back in. The new one has to come out to get the studs worked on. I am going to put 6mm hex bolts in in replacement of the factory studs. I have to take five steps back to take one forward, but that is what you get when you buy someone else's project. At least it runs...

2. samsr

samsr Member

If the bike is running on 3 cylinders then it is not the cdi. More than likely a fouled plug or a bad plug cap. Maybe even fuel related. cylinders 1 and 4 fire together and 2 and 3 fire together. Thus if one of the two cylinders is firing the other should also.
    Sounds like a project to be proud of when done though. Good luck

3. brucem

brucem New Member

The best way I have found to remove broken studs or bolts is: drill a small hold in the center of the stud, drill with a series of drills until the hole is 1/2 the diameter of the stud. Take a regular bolt a little smaller then the stud and grid a tappered 4 sided point. Tap the point into the hole and try turn out the stud. The advantage of using a tappered bolt instead of an "easy out" is, an easy out is hardened if you snap it (easy to do) then you are up a creek, if the you snap the bolt it can be drilled and tried again.