1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1986 Fazer FZX700 project

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Avi, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Avi

Avi Member

Good morning!

I guess now I know 2 people with 3 Fazers :)

I did see this Motion Pro socket, and I might buy it, but I was looking for a 6pt socket just to get a little better hold on the plug.

I have the Yamaha Service Manual and I did see on page 3-8 the locknut and bolt needed for turning the crankshaft but I will let it soak the MMO for a few days before I try it.

It's raining today so no work will be done here but maybe it will give the PB Blaster time to work its magic on the plug.

Be safe and stay healthy!

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Don’t get a 12 pt.

3. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Ari,

Not sure if there's a 6 point the correct length that is thin enough to fit the spark plug well?
    All I know is that the one I have has served me well on accessing the plugs on all the 5 Valve heads over the years.

upload_2020-4-30_12-59-11.jpeg

Has a thin wall design to fit into low clearance plug cavity but just happens to be a 12 point.

Tony

Franz likes this.
  4. Avi

Avi Member

I must say I do agree with you both ;)

I don't have a problem using a 12pt socket, and I would use it with no worries on a regular maintenance task, but this is a hard seized plug that I feel I need the maximum grip to make it turn thus I think a 6pt socket will be better than a 12pt.

I will get the Motion Pro socket because the one spark plug socket I have is a $7 one I got on Amazon and with this Fazer project I decided that in order to avoid unnecessary incidents I will upgrade as I go all of my tools and I started by getting a JIS set and I don't believe what a change it made with every screw I turn.

IMG_0833.JPG The seized plug. Not a lot to see here but maybe someone will see the light and will tell me how to get this sucker out. Pardon my French...

5. hogfiddles

start by removing the tires.....

6. Avi

Avi Member

I was thinking about something at that course, to leave the plug for now, work on the rest and once I can start the engine maybe with the vibration and the engine heat it will be easier to turn this stubborn plug.

What do you think?

7. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Never searched for one and can understand you trying to have the best result when attempting to remove the plug.

BTW, you have the carbs out, maybe the intake valves are open so you can give the last cylinder a shot with the MMO?

Glad to see you got a manual, and the JIS screwdrivers.

Tony

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Is there a tool kit wrench the is really good for that spark plug? I know on some of the bikes I have had (Bandit 1200) the only way to get to some of the plugs is with the tool kit plug wrench. When letting the solution sit in those cylinders I do it for at least a week before I even try to break it loose. The before mentioned 1/2 & 1/2 mixture has worked best for me, but I am sure there are many other potions.

Keep up the good work and persistence, it will pay off.

9. Avi

Avi Member

Good afternoon all,

Where's the best place to get brake pads for my Fazer?
    I also needs the retaining clips for the retaining pins if anyone can recommend a place to order these as well.

In general is Ebay a good place to buy stuff, I just ordered the carb rebuilt kit on Ebay from a seller in China and I hope that it will be of a decent quality.

I also see brake pads on Ebay but I thought I will ask the experts before order it.

Be safe, stay healthy and have a great weekend!

10. hogfiddles

1. Get pads from Len Chacal
    2. After you are done getting mad at carbs that don’t work right, get the correct parts from Len Chacal

11. Avi

Avi Member

Good afternoon,

I was trying to deal with the brake and clutch master cylinders and I guess I wasn't that successful since I messed the seized screws on both cylinders.

I am here again to look for an advise from the experts. Should I look for a replacement master cylinders for both or is there a way to work on these to make them usable again.

If I go with replacements should I look for FZX specific cylinders or are there compatible cylinders I can look for?

IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0947.JPG

12. hogfiddles

I would go to a highly recommended machine shop and have drill and retap if needed

13. Avi

Avi Member

I will ask around and hopefully I will find someone that will be able to do it.

Do you know a place that will be able to do this work? I might arrange the shipping and pay them for the work if they'll be able to do it.

14. Avi

Avi Member

Good evening all,

I dealt with the master clutch and brake cylinders today and both are seized and I can't retrieve the piston out of the cylinder.

I used PB for the last few days to no avail.

Considering the messed screws for the cap of the reservoir and the bad condition of the master cylinders will it be better to look for a replacement or should I try to find a shop that can rebuilt these?

Which master cylinders out there, for the brake and the clutch, are compatible with the FZX700? I couldn't find any FZX700/750 in decent condition.

After a few days of PB on the calipers screws I was finally able to turn them all and I got all three calipers off the bike. I am about to take it all apart and my question is should I replace the o-rings or check the current ones and maybe reuse them?

I wish I could soak all the bike in PB Blaster and let it soak for a week...everything is seized so hard on it that I wonder if it's the rust/corrosion or that someone fastened them all too hard...this was supposed to be a project and it turned to be a challenge ;-)

The good news are that after a couple of weeks of PB and Marvel Mystery Oil treatment I was able to turn the engine and although the carbs are still off the bike I used some starting fluid and was able to get some life cranking out of it.

Thank you, be safe and stay healthy!

hogfiddles likes this.
  15. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    If everything is that rusted, corroded, set up and difficult to get apart the brake o-rings are going to be not re-useable. I would not be surprised if the brake pistons were very pitted and also not to be used again. If just dirty I have chucked the pistons in a lathe and polished them with scotch brite pads. But pitted means they are done.
    John

16. Avi

Avi Member

Thanks John for the guidance.

I will expect the worst but hope for the best this is the state of mind I developed with this bike :)

What are my options of getting new/used master cylinder for the brake and the clutch? Are there any other Yamaha models that have compatible master cylinders that I can use?

Apart from being a challenge this is also becoming an expense I didn't expect but I have two other motorcycles to ride so I might slow down with this one and just take my time and do it little by little.

Thanks again, be safe and stay healthy!

17. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    For the clutch I have little advice to offer as I have not done anything on that side. I have used an ebay special R1 front brake master on my Seca 750 with good result. Chacal might have clutch masters available, new or used, or at least advice on same. PM him from the XJforever logo in the upper right of this page.
    John

18. Avi

Avi Member

Good evening,

I started rebuilding the brakes calipers, front and rear, and I need to order a caliper joint seal o-ring, the seal between the two caliper parts, but I can't find the part in the service manual nor on the factory parts list.

I am sure I am missing something so here I am asking the experts...

Thank you, be safe, stay healthy and have a great weekend!

19. Avi

Avi Member

I am still unable to find the part description or the part number for this o-ring seal.
    This is the o-ring seal that comes between the two calipers parts and I am unable to find it on the service manual.
    Thanks, be safe and stay healthy!

20. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

XJ4ever will have them.