1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

25 dollar mufflers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Orange-n-Black, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

My current aftermarket mufflers were a little restrictive due to the carb jetting. Since the mufflers were bet up and money is short, I fabbed some.
    I had some 2 inch turn down tips laying around that I bought from the auto parts place for 8 bucks.Originally they were on my bike, but the noise was too much so I had removed them and put the old mufflers back on. That created a slight throttle hiccup.
    I was looking online at JCWhitney and came across some Drag Pipe Silencers for 5 bucks. Then I saw some fiberglass muffler packing, 12 bucks. SO I ordered the silencers and packing.
    I drilled a hole in the side of each turn down, wrapped the silencers and shoved the assembly in the rear of the turn downs. Put the bolts through and secured with the nuts and lock washers that were supplied and attached to the exhaust with a clamp.
    They are louder than the aftermarket muffs, but not too loud. The current jetting responded very well so I don't have to re-jet.

Attached Files:

2. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Look nice- now we just need an audio/video clip.

3. Orange-n-Black

Their just a little quieter than straight pipes. I'll have to figure out the whole video posting thing.

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

looks real good for 25 bucks! awesome!

5. Orange-n-Black

The hardest part was cramming the wrapped silencer into the pipe. An extra 5 bucks and you could use chrome turn downs. The auto part stores have many different styles and sizes.

6. Orange-n-Black

Very important: my carb setup isn't stock, which is why I didn't need to re-jet. I,m running 2 Mikuni VM34 round slide carbs into custom made 1 into 2 intake manifolds(head side) with the following jets.
    Pilot - 15, Needle Jet - 159-P-6, Needle - 6F9, Throttle Slide - 2.0, Main Jet - 180.
    If you put these on a stock system, it will require a re-jet.

7. strat

strat Member

been running chrome turn downs without baffles for awhile... didn't require a rejet on my bike.

before the rear fender went...
    [​IMG]

after the rear fender went...
    [​IMG]

8. kudoskun

kudoskun Member

The equally good, if not better post is how you made those custom 1->2 headers.

Post please!

9. Orange-n-Black

Headers? If your talking about the intakes, click on my build thread at the bottom of my signature. The pipes are 2 into 1 without a H collector, but they came with the bike when I got it.

10. kudoskun

kudoskun Member

Derp. I read "head side" and thought you meant headers. Yes, intake.... :p

11. grunt007

grunt007 Member

Pretty Sweet looking wheels you have there. Wish mine was looking that good but I have a long ways to go on my 81'XJ 750 Seca-hopefully before I die. I'm at 65 now you know just a Stubborn Jarhead but then thats what keeps me going as to say. By the way, did you put a bit of a RAKE to that front fork assembly???? Sort of looks like it in the pic. Either way if you did that looks good to. grunt007, Mi. XJ750 Seca R

12. Orange-n-Black

Hello grunt007, didn't see your reply. I don't get email notices anymore for some odd reason and just happened to be looking thru old threads. The red bike that I think you were talking about belongs to Strat. He lowered the rear a couple of inches by putting Suzuki Savage 650 shocks on the rear and that makes the front appear to have more rake.

13. grunt007

grunt007 Member

Good morning Orange-n-Black (XJ Wizard) I like what Strat did in his modifications. I don't quite understand his modifications to the (2 carbs) but I wish he would have given a better picture of just how he did that since he seems to talk like it was an acceptable modification. The rest of the bike seems to have ended up in a great looking machine. The 2"drop in the rear, how did that effect his handling of the bike? I see now that even the old Cushman motor scooters pull a heavy price and they always were a piece of CRAP! I had one as a kid, use to lay that baby down and slide on her down the dirt roads on a regular basis. One thing it was good for :)))) grunt007, XJ 750 Seca, 81', Mi.

14. grunt007

grunt007 Member

Question: Is there a way to reinstall the airbox with out taking the engine out? Personally, as of yet I haven't figured out how to do it but since mine is out instead of in I am thinking on the subject. One night while sort of fed up with some of the problems with my bike which I wasn't entirely aware of when I purchased it I decided I didn't want the idiot air box, so I ripped it out. Now I can see that where Pods were no problem on a 750 Honda that on my XJ they could eventually cause a lot of modification to the bike. Just wondering, doesn't seem to me that anyone would create a bike like this with out allowing for the air box room to be replaced with the engine in the bike? grunt007, XJ 750 Seca, 81', Mi.

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Do a search through the forum regarding airbox removal. there have been PLENTY of discussions on it.

In a nutshell, the airbox system is best for the bike, so don't remove it....you'll end up putting it back in anyway. Also, in the nutshell....there are ways to remove/replace the airbox and most involve moving the engine due to the incredible engineering. However, if you need to remove/replace it, I'd suggest my favorite method---- careful use of a hot-air gun. Soften the sides and bottom of the rear portion, carefully fold it up, and then remove. Do the reverse to install. Once it's back in, carefully heat it up again and unfold it. Make everything nice and straight again before putting the lid back on.

Dave F

16. xjazz

xjazz Member

Look great, might have to try that on mine! Like others, wish we could hear what they sound like.

17. Orange-n-Black

The 2 carb mod was on my bike. I got a carb kit from Cyclex that was made for a XS650. After fooling around with intake designs, I came up with a working design and made the intakes out of thin (1/8ths) 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 square tube (mild steel because it was free) with 1 inch round tube for outlets. The real problem was finding out where to place the carb on the intake so as to even out the fuel mix to each cylinder and blocking off the YICS ports with a 3/8ths stainless steel rod. Works great and cost about 500 bucks. Best part is only having to clean and sync 2 carbs instead of 4. BTW: no airbox - has pods.

18. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member