1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

40mpg

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by leondegrance, Jun 25, 2008.

1. leondegrance

leondegrance Member

I just hit 40 mpg on my primary tank on my XJ750. Is that pretty average?

2. mikey101

mikey101 New Member

I get an average of about 42 to 44 on mine I have the midnight version. 11k miles on it.

3. CdnDave77

CdnDave77 Member

I was averaging 40 mpg before I noticed a slight lean condition has worsened. Hoped for a simple adjustment, turned into a mess. Bike is in dry dock for at least a week until I get it sorted out.

4. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Depends on many factors.
    ~40 sounds good

5. DaveXJ

DaveXJ Member

My 83 750 maxim gets 36 town and 48 highway.

6. mikeg

mikeg Member

My 82 750 Maxim got 47mpg last week when I filled up. I haven't done anything perfomance-wise to it since I got it. I did get the fluids and filters changed but that's it.

mikeg

7. osage

osage Member

just checked my last 3 fill-up slips. 32-35-41 mpg, mixed hi-way and in town driving.

8. flash1259

flash1259 Member

CONFUSED HERE ! !

My tank Compacity is 3.7 us gals , The reserve is 0.9 us gals

Do I subtract the reserve from the 3.7?

heres the thing . I have 150+ miles on my bike right now and just switched to reserve.

If this is so the 2,8 gals I already used netted me 150+ miles resulting in about 54 mpg .

This would be the first tank I ran throught the bike in about 12 years. mayybe I'll get this bike to the shop so they can tweek it . I did nothing other than de gunk the carbs. next tank it gets the top of the line gas. BTW These bikes are designed to run with leaded gas. but there is no such animal anymore. my bike requires at least 91 octane. should I be adding LEAD SUBSTITUTE to the Premium gas? what about octane boosters? or racing gas 110 octane?

9. anthrhelping

anthrhelping Member

My bike has been averaging 48 – 52 mpg I do a lot of back road and Highway driving. At first I was getting in the upper thirty’s but now after a little tweaking for the last three tanks I have been in the low 50’s I think that is great for a shaft drive.

10. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

Just go fill up with gas soon and whatever you fill up with gallons is how much you used... take the mileage and divide the gallons.

11. organizedinsanity

organizedinsanity Member

Damn....my 650 averages about 60 mpg and i drive about 75% highway and 25% city. And I dont even baby it. I averaged 65mpg on a 600 mile road trip to Alabama from Kansas city, mo last July running a constant 75-80 mph. I must be lucky or something. By the way the bike was 100% stock with the only add on being a small windscreen and I only run 87 octane.

12. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

What year and make 650 is it?

13. bill

bill Active Member

I'm getting around 36 mpg with a 50/50 mix of hwy city traffic. Not questioning your numbers but 60 MPG on an XJ650 sounds high - they are only factory rated for 40 mpg.

I'm pretty sure my bike needs to be tuned some from looking at the plugs but I'm not sure how much that will get me in mpg..

14. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

I got 48 MPG with my '82 650 last tank with 100% city driving in the 40-50 MPH range and 5,000 RPM shifts (only about three of them though before you're up to speed...). My first tank with blown out stock mufflers only netted me 38 MPG and this last tank was with stock Harly mufflers off a full sized bike. I haven't pulled the plugs yet to do a mixture check, but the mufflers are plenty black and the header pipes haven't blued.

15. dannzeman

dannzeman Member

I can't get better than 37 on my '80 XJ650. I checked the plugs 2 days ago and they were white, looked about brand new, even though they've had about 1000 miles on 'em. And thats all highway miles. What is causing the bad mileage? It should be a little better than 37, right?

16. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Best I ever got out of my 650 was 50mpg, long ride at 50-55 with few stops.

Worst I ever got was 35, but I had a lot of fun doing it :D

Around town mix surface and freeway I get 46.

I think long runs on the slab at 70 get about 40.

17. organizedinsanity

organizedinsanity Member

My bike is an '82 maxim 650. I almost couldnt believe the 60 mpg myself. I am starting to regret tearing it apart for the turbo swap.

18. bill

bill Active Member

Hmm so at 35 mpg I'm thinking I need to be doing some tuning. I'm off next week - sounds like a good project. My bike is all stock - airbox, pipes etc. Any tips besides mixture?

I don;t ride it hard - Shifting at 4k or so. It runs 5k at 60 about 5500 at 65 to 70...

19. Dodger62

Dodger62 Member

I commute on mine everyday. Mixed road conditions. All highway miles in the morning at 70 mph and usually stop and go city traffic going home. I average about 42 mpg.

Joy riding and back roads with some high speed runs and a occasional thrashing I average about 35 mpg.

Touring on the highways and intersate at 65 mph cruising speed I usually get about 50 mpg.

I just went through the carbs on my back a month ago, sealed the tank, new plugs, oil, filter, and air cleaner. My bike also has low copression and is due for a ring job. After I rebuild the top end, my milage should increase by abiut 5 mpg. So if you have your bike tuned and set up right. You should average about 40 mpg. 45 - 50 mpg on a fresh rebuild.

Lyle

20. kayaker

kayaker Member

I just got 81 Seca 750 about a month ago. Have been tinkering with it and still not where I want it. I got 40 MPG's on last tank and had gotten better. This is 50/50 mix with city and highway. I'm riding for fun - so sometimes harder ride. I'm impressed with the reports of 50 - 60 mpgs.