1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

79 xs750 It's got 2 nuetrals and no second gear

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Gearhead76, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

Hi guys long time away, picked up another yamaha this one is a 79 xs750, Runs and rides great, a little loud though some one took out the baffles.
    But When up shifting it just revs most of the time in 2nd gear, some times it will catch, but usually just revs, shift to 3rd gear and it feels like the clutch is slipping a little, other times it grabs third great and away you go. But down shifting it hits 2dn and 3rd just fine.

Could I be lucky and it just be the clutch disc or could something have gotten eaten on the inside. I payed 300 for it, and it's a clean bike, how bad do you really need second gear anyway.

Thanks guys and is there any good xs forums you'ld recommend

Attached Files:

2. Energi2er

Energi2er Member

nice lookin bike, great deal. Thats what I paid for my seca and it doesnt look as good. It has the same problem with second. what I do is ride in first awhile longer (higher rpm) and then double shift so it skips second, and goes right in to third. Its kind of a Pain in the arss sometimes, when riding in residental neighborhoods where first is to slow and third is too fast but other than that its ok.

3. Energi2er

Energi2er Member

I was told by the PO that mine has a bad shifting fork

4. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

Will yours go into second by down shifting, mine will and it's fine then. You think if it will go into on the way down it should go in on the way up, but that's thinking for you. all it does is get you into trouble with the wife. ( oh ya bye the way she didn't like me bringing a third bike home, but she'll get over it.)

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Mike's XS page. Great stuff.

6. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

Hey Robert, were do I find mike's xs page, do you have the www. for it.
    Thanks Gearhead

7. danno

danno Member

Sounds like a bad shift drum...a lesson I learned the hard way.

8. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Y-Triples

750's were the first iteration of the Yamaha triple. They fixed all of it's weak points with the 850. Glad you got it cheap. I bet it sounds sweet wound out though.

9. Energi2er

Energi2er Member

mine will actually catch in second it just doesnt last long before it slips back down to neutral. doesnt matter if I'm shifting up or down.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

11. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

Well I found the problem, It was the shift drum, the corner that would hold it into second was chiped off, allowing it to come out of gear. Boy It's been fun trying to change it. I got it all apart without separating the case, I just have to figure a way to get a snap ring back on the shift fork shaft. I'll give it another try tommorow, had enough for tonight