1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81- XJ 650 Cross Joint /U joint/Universal Joint replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ElectronicCarpenter, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ElectronicCarpenter

ElectronicCarpenter New Member

I was raised on triumphs but I wanted something that was a little more reliable. I know Jap bikes are known for gas, oil and go. :) Anyone who knows anything about older bikes also knows that a certain amount of maintenance must be completed or you will have breakdowns. So it is not always gas and go...

Right now.. Can't go.. waiting on parts ;) 8O
    While I am waiting I was wondering if anyone can help me with this question.
    :?: Can the Cross joint Universal joint be replaced by a machine shop? I know when I was in Cleveland I could go to numerous machine shops and get just about anything I wanted. I now live in a small town and the local bearing place can't even order the size that the cross joint is, not to mention that he does not believe that the bearing can be replaced.

Common sense tells me that a machine put it together, there must be a machine to remove it:) Has anyone had luck or just paid the 95 to 350 that the dealer wants depending on where you shop ?

Thanks

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

They can be rebuilt, it takes a specialized machine that can press a new bearing into these cross joints, we had to do quite a bit of searching before we found a shop that could do it. They were a specialty driveline shop, built driveshafts for racecars, etc.

We do have good used crossjoints available, as well as rebuilt ones.

3. ElectronicCarpenter

ElectronicCarpenter New Member

Re: 81- XJ 650 Cross Joint /U joint/Universal Joint replacem

I did not know what to do so I hit up Ebay. I did not know parts are available here also. Good to know. I will look here first ;)