1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'81 XJ550 Maxim Starting Problem.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Punisher0928, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Punisher0928

Punisher0928 New Member

Hey everyone. I've come down to thinking I need to do a starter rebuild but would like some more experianced advice before I order the kit.

To start, when i got the bike 2 months ago it would show some starting problems here and there. It'd usually start fine early in the morning before I'd leave for work but I'd have to try 2 or three times while giving it a bit of throttle. After work though after it'd sat in the florida sun it would start but if i stopped part way home it wouldn't want to start. Just a slow turning sound. Finally one day it did it then just started giving me a single click at the solenoid. Haven't been able to start it since.

Bought a brand new battery and fuses. Fixed a backup ground that was disconnected and frayed. Cleaned all the electrical connections with a wire brush and connectors with electrical cleaner. Even with new battery unless i have it plugged in to something it'll drop to like 7.5 volts. Tested the solenoid and it seems to be working fine, can't bypass it. Again only get a click if anything. Tried testing the starter by plugging it into a battery and assuming i did it right nothing happened. I just wanna know what to check and do before spending money so i can get it back and running.

Appreciate any help.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are heading int he right direction with the battery. I know you said that you have a new one, but that voltage drop is too much. I don't know what kinda battery you got AMG or one that need to be check and filled with liquid?

You said that your starting problems were here and there, was that a cranking issue or you think it was a fuel issue? There will be a moderator along shortly and will give you some good links to read and heed. Use the search feature too, really helps some times.

The more details you can give us in your posts the better.

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Do you get a sound like rocks in a coffee can?
    Are you sure you have the right oil in it?

The drop to 7.5 volts is disturbing... something ain't right electrically. Good on ya for checking/ cleaning the grounds/ connections. Did you go inside the headlight bucket? Can you get the new battery load tested, sometimes new ones are bad out of the box, happened to me just this spring.

There are some really good electrical guys that will shed some light on tests you can do for trouble shooting the voltage drop... but that ain't me. They will be here shortly.

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

You should be able to jump across the big terminals of the solenoid and the engine should turn over. I agree the voltage drop is significant. I think I would have a look at the starter brushes, clean armature, lube anything that needs to be lived, etc, and see what you have then.

Stumplifter likes this.
  5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Did it spark when the battery was connected directly to it? Either way it is likely due for a rebuild / inspection and the kits are fairly cheap.

What else have you done to the bike? Odds are there are many neglected items that need attention to ensure the reliability and safety of the bike.

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

Chitwood likes this.