1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81' xj650 aftermarket speedo wiring.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by bubba650, May 30, 2015.

1. bubba650

bubba650 Member

Guy I can not figure out for the life of me how to wire the DimeCity cycles after jet speedo to the original wire harness please any help would be great

micheal wade likes this.
  2. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Can you post a link to the speedo - I think i did this one.

3. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

If it's this one

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/2-5-i...with-black-face-and-led-indicator-lights.html

then it's....

Display blub -- -- Harness wire --- speedo-wire
    ——————————————————————————————————————
    Turn —— Dark-Green--diode----yellow
    Turn —— Choc-Brown--diode---yellow
    Turn —— Any black ground ----- yellow&black
    Oil —— Red&White --------------- Red
    Oil —— Black&Red(or any black-ground) ---- Red&Black
    Neutral —— LightBlue(Sb) -------green
    Neutral —— Brown ----------------green/black
    Back-light —— Blue ---------------Orange
    Back-light —— Black ------------- Black
    Hi-Beam —— yellow ---------------- blue
    Hi-Beam —— black ----------- blue&black

Check the Neutral one when you do it - this is the only one I’m not sure on - might need to flip those but I think it’s right.

Anything on the harness side that says black is ground so any black wire should work.

The factory unit has diodes built into the turn display and two wires for left and right. One the DimeCity unit there’s only one + wire for turn thus you have to connect both sides to the same wire and put diodes in series on each side. Check out this thread.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=60093.msg680807#msg680807

Edit: I messed this up when I first posted it - fixed. If you printed it - reprint it :)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  4. bubba650

bubba650 Member

Same on just white face, helps a lot where do I get diodes from?

5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

no worries. glad to help. I got the diodes at radio shack. They worked without issue for about 8 months and then one of them died/burned out. I replaced it and then had the same issue 4 months later ( just last week ) with both. I think i must have had some kind of electrical surge cos I blew a fuse too and this was right after doing some work on the bike where I re-coupled a few loose connections.

I've just replaced them with these now which can handle a little more amps and also some surge and work just as well. Same install method.

[​IMG]

One thing I'm glad I did was to make the little separate "bullet" for the diode so you can swap it out easy. These things are like $3 for 2 so I'd recommend buying at least 6. That way you can mess-up 2 and them make 4 good ones, thus having 2 spare "bullets" on the shelf ready to go just in case. If you find a better way to do it let me know :)

6. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Edit: I messed up the wiring guide when I first posted it and just fixed it. If you printed it - reprint it :)

7. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ribo, I made a couple of more changes, see if you agree.

Best way to wire, add spade terminals that fit the main harness connector and plug into correct wire on main harness, use heat shrink tubing as required to insulate?

Oil light must connect to Black/Red, "^^^ or any other ground the oil light will be on all the time."

^^^^ neutral polarity incorrect

upload_2015-5-30_22-44-37.png

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  8. bubba650

bubba650 Member

Everything seems simple other the the diode part I have never had to deal with that before. Also on the 3 pin connector on the harness I see we are not using white/green wire. What do we do with it?

9. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Rooster is correct on the oil light. red&black has to go to black&red.

The white&green wire is for the reed-switch which is part of the self-cancelling circuit for the turn signals - it just measures distance I believe. If you go xxx feet with turn flashing it cancels them. I just tape'd it off on the harness cos you don't have this on the new speedo.

Adding the diodes is a bit MacGiver but it's pretty easy, although I've worked with electrics a fair bit. Invest in a good wire crimper and lots of electrical tape and you'll be fine. Just takes a bit of practice but hey you'll learn something too :).

The diodes have a black stripe on them at the "cathode" end - face that towards the speedo. You'll see in the post from www.dotheton.com I used bullet connectors on my bike - but the spade ones work too. I just prefer the bullet ones as they are more enclosed albeit harder to get in USA.

Feel free to PM me if you need help getting the diodes set up.

bubba650 likes this.
  10. Rooster53

Ribo posted as I was writing, posting this just to restate some of what he said:

That was there just for reference in identifying the correct connector on the main harness. On the original speedometer that wire was used for the self cancelling signal. You can just leave it open as your new speedo does not have the internal reed switch. You will have to manually operate your turn signals to turn them off.

Just connect them as shown. The cathodes tie together (white stripe on diode) and connect to the Dime City yellow wire. The other end (anode) connects individually to the appropriately colored wire as designated.

Don't use the diodes in that post, those are zener diodes and actually conduct in both directions as specified by the zener voltage. Best just to use the rectifier diodes as Ribo referenced above.

bubba650 likes this.
  11. bubba650

bubba650 Member

I connected everything other then the turn signal ones because I have to get diodes for those. My question is turn the key on only thing that lights is oil sensor and neutral does the bike have to be running for the back lights to come on? Just want to make sure before I take it all apart again. I also have the matching tach for this speedo it just has to wires red and black anyone know where they hook up to ?

12. Rooster53

Yes, the output of the headlight relay powers the back light. So, they will only illuminate when the headlight is on.

What model number is the tach? Just guessing it is a mechanical tach and those are back light wires. You should have another 3 pin connector on the main harness with just two wires (blue and black) that went to the OEM tach. Connect the Dime City red wire to the blue wire and the black wire to the black wire.

13. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Yep the back-lights won't come on till it fires up along with the headlight. This is so the battery power is all reserved to help start the bike.

The oil sensor should not be on though until you crank when it will flash and then go off once bike has started. This could be the issue that Rooster pointed out.

edit - on the tach those are the backlight wires so yes connect them as rooster said.

14. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

FYI - you can connect up the turn signals without the diodes just to check that everything else is correct. You should see both left and right blinkers come on when you flip the switch in either direction and the bulb on the speedo. Once you add the diodes it will stop the current that's coming up one side to the speedo from going back down the other side.

15. bubba650

bubba650 Member

Guys I really appreciate all the help so much. I learned some new stuff never really did electrical before I do like it tho. I like learning about it. So thank you guys again

16. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

No worries man, I learned most of what I know on this forum so I like to pay if forward :)

Praxeus and bubba650 like this.
  17. Josh phillips

Josh phillips Member

about to wire in my aftermarket speedo. So this is a very useful post since it lists the harness colors. My question is about the diodes. What is their purpose?

18. Xythin

Xythin Member

Diodes allow current to flow one direction but not the other, basically an electrical one way street.

19. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

If you think about it you have two separate ccts - one for the left blinkers and one for the right - in order for the display bulb to work those two ccts need to connect to the same bulb - if there weren't diode on each side of the bulb it would create a bridge between the two ccts effectively making them one cct and all you lights would flash at the same time. The original display unit has built-in diodes.

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The original turn signal dash light doesn't have diodes (the systems monitor on the 750s do, but those are part of the monitoring system and have nothing to do with the turn signals or the diode block).

The turn signal system relies on the resistance in the dash light to prevent the bleedover voltage from activating the other turn signal circuit (those XJs with separate dash lights have no electrical connection between each "side" of the signal circuit).

The XJ diode block is for controlling the voltage flow in the safety circuits, headlight relay, and the oil level warning light.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015