1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81' xj650 aftermarket speedo wiring.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by bubba650, May 30, 2015.

1. 83Max

83Max New Member

I would have to take it apart to know for sure, but I think the new tach only had 2 wires, which I connected to the 2 wires that the old tach was connected to. I could split these and tie the speedo back light into it, but than they would both be on as soon as the key was turned (not after the bike starts like they should be). Headlight works fine. Turns on after he bike starts

The 3 pin connector is definitely still connected. I know I checked that. I did replace the clutch handle about the same time I did the speedo, so it's possible the new handle isnt engaging the switch.....

I am pretty sure it's the same one. The colors all matched, and everything else works. Strange that the backlight is the only thing not working...

2. Jamerrr

Jamerrr New Member

Hey Guys, I'm new to this and I'm trying to put the same gauges onto my 1981 XJ 650

I can't post an image or link to the Dime City Tach i bought, but it's called: 2.5" Black Mini Tachometer w/ Black Face

On the back of the dime city tach, there is a spot for a screwed in tach wire (same as the speedo type). So I don't have 2 screw in wires on my bike

My old tach is this one and the tach itself has 3 wires - orange, black and brown. Any ideas on how i can wire this?

Thanks