1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj750 third pipe not hot, and smoking a lil bit at first

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Toddmotoman, Aug 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Toddmotoman

Toddmotoman New Member

I'm getting spark, and plug comes out looking wet, I swap plug with #4 and bike seems to pull hard for a few
    Minutes and a lot of smoke, I'm thinking un burnt fuel being cleaned out burnt off,.
    I do have a leaking peacock, can't see how this would be part of that problem, just another problem .
    When doing spark test holding on to plug wire and turning over I get mild shock, is that normal? So bike sits for a night and morning same thing 3 pipe is cold, and can totally feel it lacking any balls. And there is some wet not sure if it's oil or gas in left tail pipe.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

So, is the #3 plug sparking well when it's laid on the block with the wire attached?

A compression test would be a good idea to make sure you don't have valve or ring problems in that cylinder.

Toddmotoman likes this.
  3. Toddmotoman

Toddmotoman New Member

Yes it is sparking,
    The bike seems to have moments of running great, random, all of sudden while riding it seems like more responsive,
    Is it possible 3 go on and offf

4. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I had a similar problem #3 was not heating up. The pilot circuit in the #3 carb was plugged.

Toddmotoman likes this.