1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chitwood, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Yea, they were soaked for well over 24 hrs. Bike was good and warm before it started happening. I carefully inspected the basket and pressure plate before putting it together the last time and didn't find any notches or anything that indicated a problem. We will see what I find when I crack it open. Parts wont be here till next week so that's probably when I'll look at it. It's on a time out right now haha

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Double check the clutch cable adjustment. It might not be allowing the clutch to fully engage.

Toomanybikes and jayrodoh like this.
  3. Chitwood

That was one of the first things I double and triple checked. I have it set to 3-4, closer to 4mm instead of the Haynes manual calling for 2-3mm.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how long did you ride it? with a one year old clutch, i'd be tempted to try and let it fix itself
    with the lever that loose, does it creep forward in first with the lever in?

5. Chitwood

Theres a slight nudge forward when you first drop it in gear but that's about it. I rode it for a few miles after I noticed it starting to slip and every time it was under heavy load/hard acceleration/high rpm it would slip like clockwork. If I'm nice to it, in town riding/lower rpms it doesnt seem to slip but let's face it, what fun is that. Unfortunately it means spending some more money but I've come to terms with it. Need to get through this wintery blast that is supposed to hit us, which will give me time to fix it, and I'll go from there.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Does your bike have a clutch master? If so have to checked to make sure the fluid return hole is open? That can cause the fluid to keep pressure on the line and then the clutch would slip.
    What type of engine oil did you use? Something that might be making the clutch slip? These are just questions for trouble shooting. Might not apply.

7. Chitwood

Cable clutch, have been checking the free play every time I rode it. Using same oil as always 20w50 valvoline motorcycle oil. Not sure what's going on but plan to replace everything again and go from there.

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Could be the springs or bolts backing out?

9. Chitwood

That's definitely one thing I'm going to check when I crack it open. I dont recall if I used any blue loctite on the bolts or not. I know I carefully torqued them to spec.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

a nudge when it is first put in gear is a normal thing until oil gets warmed up. oil clutches have oil between the plates which will cause movement

11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Have you over filled the crankcase
    Too much oil can do that. And did you clean the metal plates? If they were glazed from previous fibre plates that will also cause an issue.

12. Chitwood

The oil is filled to the top of the window with a very small bubble at the top. By the time the message to quit pouring reached my hand it was already to that point. I hadn't thought of too much oil causing the clutch to slip. I did clean the steel plates before they were installed last time. I believe I gave them a very, very light sanding on a flat surface to break any glaze,cleaned them again before installing. Question I have now is, if infact I do have the crankcase overfilled which caused the clutch to slip, have I done too much damage to simply correct the overfull condition and keep riding? We are currently getting snow so it wont be ridden anytime soon. On a somber note, my grandfather would have been 98 today. We lost him in January, day of his funeral was a big snow storm. Supposedly there was a big snow storm on this day in 1921 when he was born.

13. Chitwood

New parts have arrived but I am curious about the possibility of having the crankcase overfilled which causes the clutch to slip under high rpm hard pulls. Since it has slipped a small number of times is it automatically junk? I haven't had a chance to even look at it for the past few days but plan to when I get home tonight. If all I need to do is remove some oil after checking the level and good to go that would be great. I'm also prepared for the other side of it meaning replacing friction plates, steel plates, and springs. Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me. Is it worth it to try to save it not knowing if or when it may act up again? Or just go ahead and replace it for peace of mind that I wont end up stranded hundreds of miles from home

14. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I would not expect overfilling to cause permanent friction plate issues. I would expect poor oil quality or low oil to cause heat damage to all of the plates.

k-moe likes this.
  15. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

You know... Before going farther, id try changing the oil, use the proper 10w40 motorcyle oil.
    There us the possibility the oil is too thick, also old oil, unless synthetic can break down over time and not work 100%
    Its a cheap, easy thing to try before ripping your bike apart to check the clutch :)
    Also, if the clutch has slipped, the oil is likley burnt a bit.

k-moe likes this.
  16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

"Synthetic" mineral oil is typically derived from crude oil, same as conventional. Amsoil is one of the few formulators that use a pure base oil instead of distilling the base directly from market crude and adding to it. So, despite what the bottle may say a "synthetic" oil is only as "pure" as the base used to make the oil blend. Having said that all mineral oils break down over time from moisture and heat. Moisture is one of the biggest enemies of mineral oil. The more pure the base mineral oil, the less crap is in it which can cause faster break down and water absorption. Ester oil is a totally different animal and rarely used in highway engines due to how quickly it turns into carbon, but that's exactly what you want from it.

17. Chitwood

I just changed the oil before I started riding it this season. Yes, I used 20w50 but it is motorcycle oil designed for use with wet clutches. I'm not saying the oil still couldn't be partly at fault, but it just seems odd to me that it was fine at the end of last season, changed it this spring, and now clutch slip. Hopefully tonight I will get a chance to verify whether or not the crankcase is overfull

18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

An overfull crankcase won't cause clutch slip, unless the extra volume is made up of gasoline (and even then it's not going to slip unless the clutch is already going out).

Even new parts can be faulty. Sucks when that happens, but it does happen.

Chitwood likes this.
  19. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Did you use the same oil last season? If the oil change is the only real factor in the "new" clutch slip, id be apt to blame the oil...
    Only other thing ive seen is that some oils arent meant for old school cork friction plates.
    After sitting they (if ya pull em out) get slimy feeling, and they slip, kinda like the wood/cork grew an algae on it.
    Clean em off with brake clean and a pile o'rags and youll get a film off them.
    Re soak, re-install, good to go.
    And try a different brand oil, even if the one yr using is for bikes :)

Chitwood likes this.
  20. Chitwood

I did use the same oil last season. I dropped the friction plates in a clean oil bath before I left for work this morning. Maybe they will be ready to go by the time I get home, maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow. I have a few other things to tend to as well so not a huge deal. I think 24hrs is the recommended soak time