1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 650 Seca needs a new home

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by GrooveJunkie, Jan 22, 2014.

1. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

Hello ladies and gents.

I'm coming to the forum before "going public" to sell because I'd like this girl to go to an appreciate owner.

The wife and I want a two-up sport touring bike...thinking a ZG1000 Concours. I need to make room in the garage for that to happen, so I'm putting my '82 XJ650RJ Seca on the block.

The rundown of work done can be seen here...

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=42286.html

And pictures of the bike's current condition can be seen here...

http://s876.photobucket.com/user/Dinger ... t=3&page=1

I will be including the following with the bike...
    - Progressive Fork Spring set (not yet installed)
    - complete replacement graphic/stripe set & Yamaha badges (was planning a repaint)
    - Valve adjustment tool
    - top-end gaskets for the next valve check/adjustment
    - replacement fender (purchased for repaint project...minor crack in original)
    - Stainless allen-bolt set for all covers (didn't see the need to install yet)
    - Factory shop manual

I'm not interested in shipping coordination. Either local pick-up or buyer arranges shipping, please.

Asking $1300, so that it can find a good home quickly, and I can give a Concours a home in time to get it ready for spring.

PM me here for follow-up contact. If no action in the next week, I'll plan on Craigslist/eBay...just feel she deserves better than that.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You're not going to get that price in Michigan until about April.

I'd fix the fender, and wait until spring then ask $1600 and you'll probably get it.

3. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

Replacing the fender will need to come with a full repaint in order for it to be to my liking, though someone else may think it would be fine. Nobody but me has ever noticed or commented on the fender crack.

I'll want to be riding the two-up bike by April, so I'll need to see what offers come in for her as she is in the next few weeks. I need the money less than I need the space.

An enthusiast...someone into these...would hopefully bite mid-winter. Worst-case (and I'd consider it worst) it goes to someone looking for a cheap ride.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

No, worse-case scenario is somebody buys it and makes a "boober" out of it.

If and/or when I sell any of my stable, the ad will read "taking applications for new owner. Will not sell to anyone who doesn't understand what owning an old motorcycle means and is prepared to properly care for it, not cut it up. Enthusiasts only. Squids look elsewhere."

5. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

Ugh...you planted a nightmare, Fitz. Hopefully they'd start with the much more plentiful Maxims to do that kind of butchery...this one is far too complete/correct to allow that to happen.

My "worst case" was the typical "I want a two-wheeled Toyota that I can just change oil on once a year for under 1500" type guy, who would inevitably nuke a bike like this.

6. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

No kidding restore , not hack up for bobber ......its in good shape

7. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

It is daily-rider-ready once the typical seasonal stuff is done (carb check/clean/tweak, valve checks, etc...), but yeah, it is close enough that it could be a "concourse bike" for the period if someone wanted to go that way.

8. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Nice bike, I hope mine looks like that at some point...

9. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

She is now sold. Thanks for the views, folks. And a big thank-you to the board members who were so helpful in getting her in the shape she's in.

10. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I hope along with the sale you let them in on xj forever so we can still see that wonderful Seca