1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 750 Bob, AKA about to get in over my head.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Joedanbeck, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Joedanbeck

Joedanbeck New Member

I have an 82 maxim 750 I'm considering bobbing. It runs great but is on the ugly side. I plan on primarily cosmetic changes except for the exhaust. The catch is I'm not terribly sure where to start or if i should just let sleeping dogs lie. Does any one have any thoughts or experiences with newb mods? Especially with options for handle bars and those fugly 82 headlights Any input would be great. Below is a half ass'd photoshop job of my general idea.

Attached Files:

• up.jpg
      up.jpg
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
  2. skillet

skillet Active Member

Depending on the bars you choose, you might run into a problem with the MC. Changing exhaust and breathing will mean retuning the carbs which can be opening a can of worms. Do a "search" for pods and you'll see all kinds of opinions...

skillet
    btw WELCOME to the forums!!!
    another btw from what I've read individual bikes react differently to these changes. Be sure and do the "search" before you make a final decision...

3. Joedanbeck

Joedanbeck New Member

Thanks for the welcome. You were right about mixed opinions on in/out mods. From riding the bike i love the way it runs, but i can't say the same about its looks. Any one know if the aluminum seat stays are weight bearing?

4. SBSTebbe

SBSTebbe Member

I've always been a fan of the drag bars or more recently the narrow Z's. If you love the way the bike runs I wouldn't really mess with pods although there are all sorts of mods for exhaust where minimal tuning is possible. I was a complete newb before I started but this site and the forum search feature proved to be priceless. Some easy mods would be lowering shocks/struts, headlight replacement (ebay), seat pan, etc. Even the minimum wiring diagram was a little daunting at first but my buddy is a whiz at that stuff and once we started it was all fairly simple. Good luck and welcome!