1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 Maxim Windshield Buffeting

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joedanbeck, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Joedanbeck

Joedanbeck New Member

Hey guys, so last week i installed a Slipstreamer Hellfire on my Maxim. My options for a windshield were limited by the Maxims square handlebars and Slipstreamer makes the only adapter i could find. I instantly noticed a huge reduction in pressure to the chest but the buffeting is so bad my eyes can't focus. Iv'e tried getting it as low as possible and high as possible with no success. I feel like it could go a bit higher but the brake fluid reservoir is in the way. Have any of you tried mounting windshields? And if so is there something i can do or should i just eat the costs and take it off?

Attached Files:

2. rmcrow

rmcrow Member

Hi, I run a slipstream and have some pretrry bad buffeting on my helmet at 55+, that's due to the angle defines by the big chrome gauges. I have to have my windshield almost vertical introspective of my rake.
    I run a 700 maxim I am restoring for my daily driver right now.
    What is your windshield angle vs your forks and are you wearing an open face helmet or a bandana¿

3. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I have a Memphis Shades Hellcat on my XJ700n and have no buffeting at all. It's as good, if not better, than the 21 inch Memphis Shades standard shield I have on my Honda Shadow. Like the previous rider said, I think the best you can do is adjust the angle and have the shield as high as possible. I'm relatively new to XJ's but I didn't know any has "square" handlebars.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Seca 750 and first two years' 750 Maxim had cast, rectangular section, "adjustable" bars.

5. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

I have a Slipstreamer Spitfire on my Midnight. It's a smaller, sportier shield I put my on to reduce fatigue on long trips. It works well at keeping the wind from hitting me in the chest but there is a small amount of buffeting on my helmet.
    [​IMG]

Try various adjustments to the angle of the shield and see what works best. Maybe try a full face helmet if you don't already have one...it'll add valuable protection to your face in the unfortunate event of a crash too!

6. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I learn something every day.

7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Seca 750 doesn't have rectangular cross section bars. They have 7/8" bars with square plastic covering to hide the cables. At lease my '82 did (before I bent them in an accident :roll: )

I've only see square bars on the maxims (I'm not sure which ones, but I'm guessing the 750s with the square headlight).

8. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Hi Joedan, I have an 82 Maxim, and the SpitFire windshield, same basic look as moose.

I have an angle that closely matches the forks (very slight lean more toward me), but the bottom sits an inch above my headlamp (the big round one).

That was the only way to get it just right, and I use a child safety corner bumper (stiff foam) attached to the lamp to support it and prevent vibe.

After experimenting with many different angle and height attempts I have zero buffeting, with a perfect still spot right where my head rides. And I'm 5'8".

It might have taken 15-20 rides before it was perfect. I have a friend with a VStrom and an entirely diff shield and we both were messing with ours at the same time. He got his buffet-free too - its not the windshield, its the angle

9. Joedanbeck

Joedanbeck New Member

The angle is pretty close to the fork and i where a fly tourist, its essentially a 3/4 with a detachable jaw piece. Today i brought it to the highest i could and angled the top back. Riding around town i noticed a good improvement but the weather is to crappy to get it out on the highway. Some friends and i are planning a trip around Lake Michigan in July and i hope to get things figured out by them.

Also about the square bars, i always thought that only 82s (seen them on maxims and secas, not sure which sizes) had them but i've seen 82s with round bars also so i guess it's a case by case thing. I haven't had any problems with them other than finding accessories and aesthetic concerns.

10. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Yep, just keep messing with the angle/height combo. Just before I got mine right, I was just about ready to throw it across the garage. Then I got it closer and decided not to trash it just yet :wink:

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

As ManBot pointed out, none of the Seca 750's had square bars. The factory bars are normal 7/8' found bars with tabs for mounting the foam appearance covers.