1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 Seca 650 Value?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Ryan Niziolek, Oct 8, 2021.

?

$4500 asking price?

1. WAY Too Much

100.0%
  2. About Right

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Low

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ryan Niziolek

Ryan Niziolek New Member

Hey everyone!! I am new to riding (just last year), have an '18 Ninja 400 that I ride a lot (over 1700 miles in town over the past year).

A few months ago I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. An '82 Seca 650 to flip (also got an '86 Virago 1100 at the same time) with just under 4700 miles on it. Needed a carb rebuild, brake work and a couple parts that were broke.

Known history of the bike: sat in a garage for the past 20 years w/~300 miles of riding, didn't run (carbs were off) and front brakes were seized.

Rebuilt the cab, rebuilt the master cylinder and calipers, new pads+shoes all around, turn signal cover, clutch lever, battery (added a tender pig-tail), oil change, new bar-end mirrors (still have the Dealership Accessory bar-end mirrors) ... and boom done. All in, I'm around $800 for a running, driving classic will squat on the odometer.

The big question I have ... what do you all think the value of the bike is? KBB and the such says $3500 in excellent condition, this bike is 90% there (few scratches, surface rust kinda stuff).

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They are a one-year-only model in North America, and were highly regarded when new (a lot of motojournalists have regretted selling theirs). IMO that's a $3,000 machine that would likely sell for a hundred or two less than that. But that also depends a lot on how many there are in your area, and how much someone wants one. You could list it for $3.5k and probably get close to that if you're willing to wait, especially if the paint issues get fixed. The gauges are pristine, and that's not very common as the red fades pretty easily.

Jetfixer and Minimutly like this.
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

They go for £2k plus in the UK, and we had loads sold here. That’s a really nice one. Something odd about the angle of the brake master cylinder though? Are the bars turned around a bit?
    As @k-moe says (yay, we agreed), put it up and wait, with those miles someone will want it.

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think we agree more often than either of us realize.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats a keeper ride it for a while then think about selling it.
    spring time is when they sell for the most money )start of the riding season)

Alan63 likes this.