1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ 750 Shaft Driven Secondary Drive Question!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by chrisjfrederick, Jan 30, 2012.

1. chrisjfrederick

chrisjfrederick New Member

Hey All,

So I have added a 1982 XJ750 to my collection. As with my 550 (same year) I plan to tear her down and rebuild into a great bobber.

This is my first dance with a shaft driven bike, my question is: I pulled off the secondary drive cover (the cover on the engine) and got a suprise as a ton of brown oil came pouring out. Im not sure if this is gear oil or engine oil. It also had gas mixed in it. I have not checked to see if my gear-fill/drain plugs are there, but I need to know if this is a normal thing, or if im screwed.

Thanks for the info guys.

-C

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

First - I'll refresh the "WARNING" about not touching the middle-gear cavity drain screw, as the 10MM bolt can snap off if it's never been touched in 30 years.

Since I have 4 into 1's, I pull this plug and notice EXTRA QUANTITIES of metal flake that's not as evident in the "main drain", which would mean that this engine oil is not in a very fast period of circulation.

"diff" lube can't migrate forward past a spinning "U" joint. You can check it's level anytime, on Mainstand, undo the rear-most bolt (19MM?) and the level should be at the bottom thread.

Would you say that your "ton of brown oil" is exactly 9 OZ ??

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

"got a suprise as a ton of brown oil came pouring out"

My guess TTR is that this oil would have to be scraped up from the garage floor to be measured as the operative word there is "surprise"<LOL>

I sure am glad you guys continually post the warning about that bolt....had I ever found it, I surely would have either tried to remove it, or would have snapped it off trying.
    jeff

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

secondary drive cover? ya lost me. the shifter goes through it? it's rubber?