1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ550R Seca won't rev past 8K - Help!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mordred, Jul 17, 2021.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One thing that would help greatly is a full understanding of the baseline for all related systems prior to the trouble occuring.

Please list:
    Pickup Coils: Tested and in spec? New or old?
    Ignition Coils: Tested and in spec? Nwe or old?
    Plug wires: Tested and in spec? New or old?
    Spark plugs: Brand and model? Photos of the business end would be helpful.
    Pods: Brand?
    Jetting: Stock? Not stock? What pilot, main, and air jets are installed? What jet needle is installed? What are the fuel levels set to? What are the idle mixture needles set to (# of turns out)?
    TCI: Have you acess to a known-good TCI to swap out and check?
    Petcock: Rebuilt, and flowing freely?
    Fuel filter: Installed? If so, what type?

This is not exhaustive, but covers what I think of as the most likely suspects.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Member

Reading the original post brings back memories of the same issue I had (have) with my 81 Suzuki GS550. Pulled great up until 7000 rpm. I read a ton of stuff on the internet and it might be helpful to you to do the same if you haven't already. It's a pretty common problem with all makes and maybe you'll come across the answer. I finally found something that helped me a fair amount but not completely eliminated it. I bought a DigiSync off ebay (hate the liquid Synchronizers) and synced the carbs. Not saying that's your problem but searches like the one I left a link for may provide some more ideas.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=motorcycle+wont+rev+past+7000+rpm
    And if you do find the issue I would be very interested to know what it was.

3. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

You're making the cylinder bigger while still squashing it into the same size combustion chamber how can that lower the compression ?

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You are absolutely right, I was wrong, was looking at the formula "backwards", so yes boring with no other changes will increase the compression ratio!