1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ650 Head Gasket

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by molochnik, Dec 27, 2019.

1. molochnik

molochnik New Member

Hi All,
    I've attempted to search the forum, online OEM and aftermarket suppliers (including XJ4ever), and I have a creeping dread that one is unable to buy a head gasket for these bikes.
    I've only seen offerings for 550s and 750s, as well as newer bikes.

Is it true that head gaskets are no longer available at all for a 650?

Thanks in advance.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

XJ4EVER has 3 styles for the 650 start a conversation with chacal here or email xj4ever info@xj4ever.com for quote

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

HCP4693 OEM cylinder HEAD GASKET, fits between the head and the cylinder jugs. NOTE: this gasket requires the use of the HCP4691 camchain tunnel gasket, like original. For all 1982-3 XJ650 (except Turbo) and 1982 XJ650RJC Seca (Canadian yics) engines. Use 1 per engine.

HCP18940 Aftermarket cylinder HEAD GASKET, fits between the head and the cylinder jugs. NOTE: this gasket requires the use of the HCP4691 camchain tunnel gasket, like original. For all 1982-3 XJ650 (except Turbo) and 1982 XJ650RJC Seca (Canadian yics) engines. Use 1 per engine.

HCP23222 Aftermarket cylinder HEAD GASKET, fits between the head and the cylinder jugs. NOTE: unlike the original, this updated-design head gasket integrates the camchain tunnel gasket directly into the head gasket itself, and does not require the use of the HCP4691 camchain tunnel gasket. For all 1982-3 XJ650 (except Turbo) and 1982 XJ650RJC Seca (Canadian yics) engines. Use 1 per engine.

4. molochnik

molochnik New Member

This is good news! I looked through the listings in the catalog one can access on this site and didn't see anything for this bike. Should we get that far I'll be sure to contact chacal directly...thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up on the tunnel gasket!

My wife happened to find a NOS gasket on ebay for $100. If a site patron has them I'd sooner support them.

Thanks both of you for the info; I've not dug around in the top end of one of these yet. You've saved us some tail-chasing.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We recommend this "new design" head gasket which incorporates the cam chain tunnel gasket into the head gasket (i.e. the way it should have been done originally...….) and this will save you the additional expense of the tunnel gasket:

HCP23222 Aftermarket cylinder HEAD GASKET, fits between the head and the cylinder jugs. NOTE: unlike the original, this updated-design head gasket integrates the camchain tunnel gasket directly into the head gasket itself, and does not require the use of the HCP4691 camchain tunnel gasket. For all 1982-3 XJ650 (except Turbo) and 1982 XJ650RJC Seca (Canadian yics) engines. Use 1 per engine.

We also have "top-end" gasket kits (which include the integrated style head gasket) that contains all of the gakets for a top end (i.e. piston rings) rebuild.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    XJ550H likes this.
  6. molochnik

molochnik New Member

Fantastic! The bike is an XJ650J and it's a rough attempt at a bobber. I'll let my mentee know that there is indeed support for the bike.
    Thanks Chacal!

Franz likes this.