1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joshua Robison, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Joshua Robison

Joshua Robison New Member

So I just bought a 82 xj650 for 300 never touched a bike in my life. Owner had for 15 years has ran I last 2. I change oil and filter and replaced battery I get power I'm in neutral and nothing. I dont know where to position the petcock to get it to start I tried all 3. However I notice there is a gas line leaking that runs out of this plastic holder for the air filter next to the carbarator. Where does this gas line connect too???

Attached Files:

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

First of all, you need to clarify what you mean by "nothing". No crank? Cranks but doesn't catch? Catches but doesn't really run?

The clear line connects to the overflow of the carburetors. Carbs will overflow if their float needles aren't sealing correctly.

You probably need to do a full carburetor cleaning and overhaul to start with. If they have been sitting a long time, a good overhaul will make everything else easier. https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/in-the-church-of-clean.14692/

Huntchuks likes this.
  3. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I second this. Carbs getting a thorough cleaning should be first on the list for a new bike.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I have a couple 82 650's and I don't recall there being an overflow (I think they're actually a vent) on the carbs. There is a little drain tube on the airbox, if the carbs are not working well then fuel could spill back into the airbox and drain out of that tube. You might also have a battery vent tube hanging down in that area.

To start, the petcock goes on PRI (prime) for a minute or so. You can then start on PRI or ON but you should always run it on ON and store in ON position. This assumes the vacuum feature of the petcock is working.

I agree, bike that sat should have carbs gone through and wet set etc.

hogfiddles likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes on the 650 there is no overflow tube I think the tube of you have pictured comes from the air box. You should set the petcock to prime. If fuel is coming out the airbox then your float needle valves are stuck and probably need to be replaced or cleaned very well most likely replaced.
    Getting nothing when you press the starter button could be a variety of items
    1 the run kill switches in the wrong position
    2 the ignition fuse is bad corroded but the whole fuse holder has to be replaced. You can buy a fuse box or an inline fuse holder in the end the cost will be about the same.
    The XJ bike has some safety features which will prevent the bike from turning over. One is the side stand safety switch the other could be a broken clutch safety switch. When you turn the key on do you hear two relays click? If your bike still has a center stand put it up on the center stand then put the side stand up see if it turns over. If not your side stand safety switch maybe all gummed up and need to be cleaned. To test this remove the side stand safety relay.
    Bike must be in neutral to start if the clutch safety switch is broken. Does the green neutral light come on when you put the bike in neutral?

You could have a battery that is dead. The solenoid me be bad. The starter switch could be dirty.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    hogfiddles likes this.
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you go under the forums XJ forever supporting vendor you will see a thread titled ultimate switch and relay look at this and it will show you where your side stand relay is for your bike disconnect that relay and it will bypass the side stand safety switch. You will want to repair this if it is bad because there's nothing worse then driving off with your side stand down and trying to take a left hand turn. If your clutch safety switch is broken open the bike will only start in neutral. Switch must be replaced for the connect to jump it that it plugs into in the headlight bucket.