1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ750 feels like it needs 6th gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timmay, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Timmay

Timmay Member

Just maybe me, but the gear ratios on the Maxim are not to my liking, I hope something is not wrong with my clutch...

First gear is useful for moving 20 feet, second, third and fourth go in quick succession. 5th is where I live on roads 35mph and up.

On the highway, there's no 6th, so riding at 65mph, I'm doing 5500 RPM's or so and it just feels like I'm beating the engine up, or setting it up for an overheat.

If I want to go 75 for a prolonged period of time, will I do damage to this old engine at 6500-7000 RPM's? I see the redline is way up there, but I can't imagine this old 750 hitting 9K RPM!

I just feel like there should have been a 6th gear!

Not that I'm a speed demon, I've not got a ticket in 9 years... I just was wondering from the peanut gallery what you think, is this bike made for a long haul cross-country?

Thanks

2. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

You're not th first or last to want 6th, I know what you mean. They are a revy engine and no it wont break because 65mph at 5500rpm is normal, and so long as there's nothing major wrong it will go to 9000+ if you feel th need. Th gearing is th only reason i would like it to be chain drive..so i could change th ratios without some 900 trick surgery, but it aint.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

IMAGINE AWAY.

Nine grand sounds SOOO sweet; these motors don't even get to be fun until 6K. All of the XJ's powerbands take a steep jump at 6K, and make peak power at or near redline. These motors are screamers, not stump pullers.

It's important to have your motor properly tuned; valves in spec, carbs properly adjusted, etc., but once it is-- REV it! I regularly run my 550s to 8K between shifts, 9500~redline if I'm romping.

Running in city traffic, I keep at least 4K on the clock. These were "racebikes for the street" and were built to be revved. If yours is healthy, it will love you for it.

By the way-- the 550s HAVE a 6th gear; and everyone who has one wishes it had a 7th.

4. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

35 MPH in fifth gear will do way more damage to your motor, carbs, and electrical than running it at 7500RPM steady for an hour.

Once I learned how the motor wanted to work, I haven't been in 5th gear in 8 months.

Since my rebuild and getting all the problems sorted, my 650R hates to idle, and begs for the Tim Taylor moto: "MORE POWER!" (monkey grunt ensues)

5. Timmay

Timmay Member

Whoa...

Am I really hurting anything by 'loafing' along in 5th gear?

I love riding it smoothly and although I guess I crank this on the highway... I don't want to ride around in 4th :(

So, I take it, this motor LOVES to be revved and told what to do!

Good, cause I really let her rev whenever I see a nice hill :)

6. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I've accelerated up to 70mph 2up (450 lbs) with large fairing, full trunk and saddlebags with no problem in 4th gear. The 750 has plenty of power.

Yes the bikes are Screamers but at least you won't vibrate your filling loose at idle like CERTAIN bikes. LOL

7. Timmay

Timmay Member

Um, like my KZ-400 LOL :)

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

No, I think he was referring to those bikes that rhyme with Darley Havidson

I don't even take it out of second until I hit 40MPH

9. Timmay

Timmay Member

So I took it out again today and rode her like you guys mentioned... Third, Fourth gear all the time. The power is there in a BIG way! I'll just get used to 'loafing' around 5k RPM from now on, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!

10. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

If you love it now, wait until it's got a proper tune and you decide you have enough bravery to take it to redline in second, then third, then you look at the speedo and back off, all the while looking for red and blue lights.

11. bigfitz52

Don't encourage him until he rebuilds his brakes.

Redline in third is illegal everywhere except Nevada on the 550 too. And it's got THREE left...

12. Timmay

Timmay Member

1. I probably won't redline it, I love the way the bike feels, but I'm supporting my family on my income alone... I don't need to donate any cash-ola to my local PD/InsuranceCo's retirement funds when I'm struggling to save for ours :)

2. Front brakes are rebuilt (pads are great, both calipers rebuilt) and stainless lines with all new bolts and crush washers. Rear brake inspection next on the list.

I just wanted to know if 5,500 RPM is 'normal' and I got my answer.

the power feels great!

13. bigfitz52

CHECK THE REAR BRAKE.

THEN, fly like the wind. Channel your inner Ralf Schumacher.

(I never shift below 7K ever.) They really do pull once they get up on the cams.

14. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

Don't kid yourself Padawan, you WILL redline it, just *ahem* not before previously mentioned issues are addressed :lol:

Mars

15. raptor8

raptor8 Member

I did that last time out, accidentally. Trying to turn right, the left lane was full and there was a MC headlight in the distance in the slow lane, so I pulled out and grabbed an extra handful. I don't know who was more surprised! Me or the car I was next to hehehe! and the bike behind me turned out to be a city cop on a BMW. oops. He followed me until I stopped and didn't pull me over. Then I got a history lesson on these things: many city police depts used these for patrol bikes cuz they are quicker and lighter than the Hondoo CB750. And he asked me if I knew where he could find one.... I have many years in the dirt and didn't realize that there was more than 1/4 turn to the throttle... the second handful was a real eye-opener!

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yup, like the others said....... until you learn what the bike CAN do, SHOULD do, and WANTS to do, you're not gonna be happy.

Now that you've had a taste, you'll understand. These bikes love to stay at 70mph at 65krpm at 90 degrees f all day.

You can be tooling down the road in 5th gear, 65k +/- rpm, and need to pass a truck----so give it the throttle and go. If you need to pick it up a bit, kick it down to 4th and unleash the beast. Getting half way past the semi and he starts to move over into your lane and you need to get out the way in a hurry--kick it down to third, and hang on, cuz you're gonna open up a can of whup-azz in a hurry.........and you STILL probably won't be at redline. She's gonna be screaming like a banshee but that's a scream of pure ecstasy...........................

Dave F

17. jchalo99

jchalo99 Member

on my 550 when it was running correctly in the city i was only in second gear most of the time after my first run in with pretty red and blue lights. fourth gear crusing main street. (25mph limit) the cop was surprised how quite my bike was when i started it up after. he let me off with a warning because i was going to the fire department for a call. the 550 is nice chain driven, but great stock ratio's once you learn the bike's power band is high up there.

18. Dano59

Dano59 Member

I understand what you are going through. I come from a HD background and the thought of watching the tack climb to 7-9 grand scared the heck out of me. Cruising around town was a bore until I realized that this bike loves RPM. The only time I see sub 3k is when starting or stopping. I also was not use to the RPMs required to take off smoothly until I let the motor breath.
    I didn't experience red line until this week after getting all the safety and tuning tricks done and I found out the rush of 6k was not the end of the adrenaline pump.
    Have fun.

19. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

The first couple of years that I had my XJ, it felt like I was over-revving it. Now running to 9K through 1st and 2nd is such a rush. And the SOUND!!! Makes me hot and sweaty just thinking about it.....

I'll be back. I'm going for a ride.

20. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

i had no idea... i was shifting at 5,000 .. seems i was missing out on a lot of power. glad i read this!