1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'83 rear shock replacement XJ550K Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cgutz, Jul 2, 2015.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I'm doing some work to bring my 83 XJ550K Maxim up to speed. I've owned it since new, but haven't been on it much for years. I've got it running very well, replaced front and rear brakes, new clutch cable, etc.

I think it probably needs new rear shocks. It has the OEM stock chrome ones.

- Can you replace just the shock inside the spring? If so, are there directions, and a reference to a budget shock to use?

- If the whole unit needs to be replaced, what would be a budget one to buy?

Thanks everyone. Lots of great info on this site, but couldn't find anything related to this specific issue.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Progressive (as well as other brands) have shocks that work with the XJ. You can reuse the springs from the factory shocks, or get new springs to suit your weight.

Another laternative is getting another pair of used OEM shocks. Most of them will have low miles, and will be in very useable condition.

What is it that leads you to believe that yours are worn out?

3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Just figured they would be after all these years and 23k miles.
    They are squeeking, but perhaps that can be fixed (grease on the connecting points?)

How do you get them apart to put new shocks inside the springs?