1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

84 V65 magna with 24,000 miles for $300

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by snowwy66, Jun 21, 2010.

1. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

would you or wouldn't you???????

i took the bike out for a spin. i hit 110 in 3rd gear. 7k rpms. but it's doing the same thing my maxim did. spitting and sputtering untill it hits that 4k sweet spot. then it's a devil from hell. so it looks like a ignitor box is in order. least that's what fixed my problem. cept this one you can hear coming out the valves. but not that bad. it runs rough more then it sputters. untill it hits that sweet 4k. my maxim did a lot of spitting the vacumm port caps off.

second gear did work like it's supposed too.

the problem is. it's beat to hell. it's going to need some major cosmetic repairs. a lot of love and a lot of time.

so, would you or wouldn't you buy?

i'm thinking if i decide too and i changed my mind. i could part it out for my money back.

2. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

its according to how much you like the bike . im sure you could sell the motor for what you paid but then you got the time pulling the motor. if you got the time and enjoy working on them would be a good deal

3. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

i don't mind working on em. and i was sure in love with the power this thing displayed.

it's the expensive nature of motorcycle parts that's going to kill the deal. this thing won't be cheap. and i don't like losing money when it comes time to sell.

figure book value to be 2400. minus 300 for the bike gives me 2100 to get it back in shape. and for how beat up this thing is. i really can't beleive that someone could take a prize bike like that and literally destroy it. i almost felt sorry for the engine.

4. cutlass79500

i dont blame you 2100 wort of repairs on a bike that runs it must be really rough sounds like alout of work

5. cheezy66

cheezy66 New Member

be aware that they had oil issues getting to the cams, so they go out. also, known for starter issues. carbs are a bear to work on and sync. my brother had an 83 he just sold.

6. st_pinetree

st_pinetree New Member

I have one, I'm trying to figure out the same thing, should I continue to fix it up or part it out. FWIW, parts for these are worth quite a bit on Ebay, If I could find one around here for $300, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. If it turns into a big headache, sell it in pieces. Definately look into the top end problems these are known for.

7. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

BUY IT...NOW

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

I had the same engine on my Interceptor, loved the sound of that exhaust note. Very strong engine. The cost to repair this beast could be very pricey, I guess it boils down to how much time are you willing to spend on it.

9. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

there's one being sold locally. with a rebuilt engine. and the prices are finally coming down on these things. last year they were valued at the price of gold. this year, they've come down to copper.

i think they're losing there lust factor and are no longer desirable. i might have a hard time selling it

10. cutlass79500

there is 1 on cl locally needs a fuel pump and carbs cleaned for 450 dut its a sabre i have 2 many projects or else i would buy it . the seat height is a bit tall for me. i would rather have a magna they really are nice highway bikes i like turning just over 3k at 60mph

11. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

I love a v4. I have a 700, always wanted a v65 though. I'd buy it...if it runs for that money...yeah.. Would I buy it right now? NO, my x just had it's top end done and I'm breaking it in, I'm trying to sell my 700 and I have another x I'm getting ready to start on and I have a n model I need to get rid of.

12. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

www.v4hondabbs.com

All you want to know about Honda V4's. And yes, I'd buy it at $300.

13. st_pinetree

st_pinetree New Member

Been trying to get into that site for months (invite only). No luck so far.

14. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Just have to send an email to the admin to request access. They had a lot of spammers setting up accounts for the 1 post with link scam, so they had to crack down.

15. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

well, i just saw the bike. RELISTED by whoever bought that bought it. and now the price is $1100. LOL.

16. cutlass79500

sounds like the people that bought some of my bikes they drive them then sell them for profit . but i sleep at night

17. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

18. st_pinetree

st_pinetree New Member

I've just decided to part mine out. If you've bought it, give a shout if you need anything for it.

19. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

i'm not paying that guy $1100. the guy that had it 3 days ago was willing to let it go for $300.

one guy owned it on wed. another guy buys and sells it 2 days later for almost 4 times the price.

20. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

smart business. shouldn't have dragged your feet. remember my first post in this thread?