1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

86 XJ700 - Let's talk Yics

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 78dave, Feb 5, 2018.

1. 78dave

78dave New Member

Ok, did a carb synch and I was surprised at how easy this was. 1 and 2 synched up then 3 and 4 and then 1/2 and 3/4 pulled together easily. I did have to keep backing the idle down, but in the end it was very smooth. Next I colortuned it getting that Bunson blue across all four carbs that started at 2.5 turns out. Some slight adjustment here. No issues and it runs very well and very smooth. Revs nicely.

So that fact that my 13,000 mile bike set the carb synch so easily makes me think perhaps I have clogged ports. I have a tool coming to slide in after cleaning, but I have not ordered a pick to clean those ports. Seems like a small brass braid soldered to a rod would reach in there to clean them if they are clogged. Otherwise, why bother? I also ordered a valve keeper to adjust the valves.

What makes me think they could be clogged is I bought the bike with a broken float post. They guy ran it rich I would guess for a while until he noticed the carbs leaking and shut it down and stored it afraid it would catch fire. When I got into the carbs the post was drilled and glued and basically just hanging there. I sent it the Jim French and had it welded correctly. The plugs were black.

So to clean the Yics or not? That is the question. I plan on setting the valves after riding it a bit.

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Yes, clean the yics passage especially if you're going to re-synch with the block off tool. Also, you'll need to synch again after setting the valves if you have to change any shims that is, so why not do it all in one shot? Check/set valves, clean yics passages, synch, color tune, synch, color tune, etc etc

3. 78dave

78dave New Member

Might as well too cold to ride it anyway! - So there was mention of shim exchanges. Is that here on this site? Possibility exists that I need nothing though.

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Yes. Hogfiddles runs the shim pool I believe. Remove the valve cover, measure clearances for each intake and exhaust, pull each shim and record the number on the shim to determine which shim you would need to bring it in spec, if the clearance is out of spec

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

just remember the yics ports have been untouched on your bike for many years. remove very carefully there is a photo or 2 on this site where the head cracked and crumbled when ports were opened.

It is said that it is unneeded to buy tool and go through this process. because it is not how the bike runs in the real world(with ports blocked off)
    I am not saying not to clean them just that the tuning process by blocking the ports is flawed

if you synced and color tuned do it again every time you color tune resync and check color tune .it is a rinse lather and repeat kind of thing untill your happy with the results

cgutz likes this.