1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'95 XJ600 - New horse in the stable (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by andrewlong, Aug 20, 2011.

1. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Re: New horse in the stable (Pic Heavy)

Yea the Prep and Etch was neat. I knew it would work, but wasn't expecting it to work that well, haha.

Thanks man! I've been a Star Wars fan since before I could walk. I still go to the Star Wars Celebrations they have every couple years. Here are some pics I shot at the last one.

2. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Lookin awesome man!!! Wish I had a garage and the time to do all this. ALL my bikes would get done and be GORGEOUS.
    Whats "Free Time"?

3. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

"Free time" is that five minutes when you stop to drink a beer on the couch before you start the next project! :)

4. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Look who made some good progress this fine eve

New fork seals. Gawd that's a ton better. If these leak I'm going to stab something small and furry.
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous
    [​IMG]

Got the wheel from the '92 on there for now.
    [​IMG]

All the controls are still loose so I can sit on it and adjust them on the morrow
    [​IMG]

The bar and bar ends have Dupli-color paint. I forget the shade, but it's close to the original.
    [​IMG]

Soda blasted shifter and foot guard
    [​IMG]

Moved the rear wheel from the '92 over. Man was that tricky with only one rear stand.
    [​IMG]

What a mess. I love it.
    [​IMG]

Used the rear brake from the '92 for now. I'll just get new pads and bleed the original brakes and put them on the '92 when I get it running.
    [​IMG]

The only hiccup in the whole process was having to cut this little guard to get the brake line out.
    [​IMG]

Here's how it stands now. I can't wait to finish painting the tank, because that '92 tank is just nasty.
    [​IMG]

What's left:

* Finish clear coating the tank
    * Acquire some new fasteners for the fairings
    * Polish the fairings
    * Fix crack in front fairing

5. inet101

inet101 Member

Progress continues.....

Right handy having a matched pair for a bit of parts exchanging isn't it....... :)

Always liked a "in house" spares source with a project. Makes things a LOT easier.

6. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Here's how it stands now. It's together, it's functioning, but there are still a ton of little things to do.

[flash=560,345]http://www.youtube.com/v/ag-tX7BMA-c.swf[/flash]

[​IMG]

7. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I would like to see a pic of all those bikes lined up. I like that you have options there. What all bikes are there?

8. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Lol they're not all mine. I just have the two XJ's. The LS650 is my lady's (but I ride it a good bit hehe), Hyosung is my brother's, Katana belongs to our housemate. The Ninja I'm borrowing until I get an XJ road worthy.

Besides the two XJ's:

1987 Suzuki LS650
    2007 Hyosung GT650
    2002 Suzuki GSX600 Katana
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

9. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I am a big fan of the ex500. I enjoyed mine. Rode it for about 4 years. I bet the Xj600 rides a little better though.

10. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

The EX500 is a great bike. But the XJ600 just feels like you're riding on a breeze compared to it. The ride is smooth, the shifting is effortless, and I haven't found a bike yet that balances as well as an XJ600.

11. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I can def see that, I have never ridden on one of thoes xj600s but they just look like they ride smoother from all of the videos. They look much lighter than the ex500 to.

12. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

LOL!!! Must start thread about how many of us play WoW!!!

13. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I have played it all, but was mainly a swg fan. I belive owning and building bikes evens me out a bit. That way I am not a nerd. I am just normal.

14. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Couldn't have said it better lol

As for this project, the tank is almost done. The brushed aluminium Yamaha badges will do great.

Right now, I'm working on a carb holder for checking the float levels off the bike. Pictures soon!

15. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

OK

Since people get their yarbles more excited about pods than checking float levels, maybe this will dull your pain if you have a Seca II and you're apprehensive about properly maintaining your gasatory floatation.

Don't get me wrong. Floats are a pain. I hate adjusting them. But with this carb holder it's a little easier to keep them stable and work on them without having to put them on your bike every time.

I'm glad they changed the orientation of the Seca II carbs -- air direction and level. In the holder, they're sitting just as they would be on the bike. Yamaha, I forgive you for the ten less horsepower and 25mm valve shims.

Nothing like PVC jabbing the back of your legs while going down the highway. The police around here will pull you over for "having protruding objects from the vehicle without proper red flags." And no, the Ninja tire isn't bald, it's a race slick with chicken strip wet weather treads.
    [​IMG]

Since I'm no PVC slicing expert, the Foredom made a mess and uneven cuts for me.
    [​IMG]

Initially I tried the 1" pipe in some old booties I had, but it was unstable and unsatisfactory.
    [​IMG]

Instead, I put the carb shaft in 1" connectors -- which really measure something like 1 5/8ths or something like that. They're called 1" because they're connectors for pipe that is 1" inside diameter. Can you tell I'm a world class plumber? Actually the nice fellow at Lowes told me this and I went +1 in plumbing knowledge. Anyways, the 1" connectors are almost big enough to get on the carbs. I had to sand just a little bit of the inside to get it to twist on the carb.

And yes, like a numbskull I only got two end caps. But you can see how it's connected. Yea.....YEA that was on purpose.
    [​IMG]

It's very stable. Stupid simple, but it makes things easier.
    [​IMG]

And here it will sit until I clean off my workbench that is filled with other carbs I have yet to finish. Woe is me.
    [​IMG]

Now just get your clear tube, run some gas from an auxiliary tank, and adjust those floats. Maybe I'll just make a video.

I should have some pics of the finished tank next post.

16. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Floatacious nonsense part 2

I have the tank sitting up on top of a 5-foot ladder
    [​IMG]

There's the rigg
    [​IMG]

Petcoque on prime
    [​IMG]

And the initial results....low. Disastrously low.
    [​IMG]

The higher line is where it should be, the lower line is where it was.
    [​IMG]

Same case for the other bowls
    [​IMG]

Off comes the cover
    [​IMG]

You can't get the float pin out on the right side because it hits the bowl. Just remove the emulsion tube needle nut with an adorably cute little wrench like mine. Don't use sockets and a wratchet wrench on anything brass or the Yamaha gods will haunt you in your sleep.
    [​IMG]

Poke the pin out with a claper pip
    [​IMG]

Here's where the tang is. To get the fuel level in the bowl higher, looking at it like this the tang needs to go......down.
    [​IMG]

Down like that. Let's give this a whirl.
    [​IMG]

Alright, at this point I turn the petcoque to prime, gas starts to fill the tube. And then it doesn't stop. And then there's gas coming out of the overflow. And now there's a puddle on the ground and I'm yelling dirty words.

I opened up the bowl again and bent the tang back a little from where it initially was. Well, that's the right direction.
    [​IMG]

The tang get bent a little more, and beauty! That's close enough for me, because the line where it needs to be is at 4mm of the recommended 4-6mm.
    [​IMG]

Repeat for bowls 2, 3, 4. Unless you just want just one carb to run correctly. It's up to you, hawss.

17. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Tank before the final clear coat

[​IMG]

18. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Haven't updated this in a while, but things are still in the works

I finished the tank. Take a look and see! It turned out way better than I thought it would. Pretty proud of it since I've never painted anything automotive before.

Three coats of prime
    Sanded
    Two coats of paint, Duplicolor GM Black (it has those little Yamaha sparkles!)
    3x Layer of Duplicolor Clear + 1000 grit wet sand in between each
    Two layers of SprayMax 2K

[​IMG]

And I scored this on FleaBay for $35! Couldn't believe it. It popped up as I was browsing. Felt too good to be true, but it showed up at my house!

[​IMG]

What's holding me up right now are the carbs. The rack it came with was in horrendous shape, and it needed to be completely taken apart, down to the throttle shaft seals.

19. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Just an update for the sake of updating:

It's been a while since the '95 has gotten any attention. I've been trying to go through the long expensive emotional paperworky process of getting the title since it did not come with one. It needs to be adjusted and tuned and synced but I can't do any of that unless the engine is good and hot...and that sure as heck isn't going to happen sitting in the garage.

So Friday, I did it. I got the title. Well, it's coming in the mail. There was overwhelming joy abound. The process to acquire a title with a vehicle that has none is probably the same as other states.

On Friday, I:

1) Rode it to the local Sheriff's precinct. They ran the VIN to make sure it wasn't stolen, and then filled out some paperwork for me. The officer who did the inspection was a neat guy, and we ended up talking about bikes for 30 or so minutes. Turns out he rode as well.

2) Continued my journey to a local insurance agency, where they can to a title bond. A title bond insures the state of registration that if the original owner ever came looking for the vehicle, the new owner would have to give it back (with no legal repercussions). This is why it's important to be 100% sure no one is looking for the vehicle. After a period of usually one to three years, the bonded title will turn into a full title in your name. After paying $125, I took that fat stack of paper to the tag office.

3) At the tag office, the kind lady took my fat stack of paper, and five minutes later I had the registration info and license plate. Done! I guess it wasn't as long expensive emotional or paperworky as I thought.

Total spent: $200 for bike, $95 for a year of insurance, $125 for bonded title, $38 for tag and title = $458. Not bad!

Time to get this puppy running perfectly. Saturday rained terribly so. Today I rode around for an hour or so to get the motor nice and spicy hot. I use a ladder to hold the tank, and then run a fuel line straight in to the carbs with the petcoque on prime.
    [​IMG]

Good thing the mixture screws are easy to get to with the fairing off.
    [​IMG]

At idle, #1 was at ~200 degrees, #2 ~400 degrees, #3 and #4 ~500 degrees. Hrm.
    [​IMG]

Well, let's see how bad the sync is off. Except I can't, because some wise guy thought it would be a good idea to put phillips head screws on the sync port. I just could not get them out with the engine hot. Well, I got one out. The others are in there pretty good. If I try and manhandle too much I'll just strip em since they're hot. I'll just have to try again later!
    [​IMG]

20. RSpark

RSpark Member

That is a great find :D WTG man