1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A little XJ confusion

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wbaize, Jul 21, 2008.

1. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

Hi Len,
    The short VIN = 5V2003261 came from the Engine case (so i reckon it had that engine dropped in - so it is a US registered engine then?)

you say that your bike is a 1981 XJ650J, which, unfortunately, is not correct...

Hmmm the 'log book' states the model as XJ650 registered in Feb '81, so maybe they just got the last letter wrong Or were just guessing??
    Since posting yesterday, one thing that i have noticed in the log book is a chassis/Vin number that begins 4K0 (and i think the serial numbers begin 001?? i can't remember exactly, but i'm sure it's 4K0001???) which does fit with the bike being Europe based. Unfortunately the frame has been repainted and the VIN on the neck is not legible (or not there, as the forks are extended etc).
    So, in essence the way i see it is this.....
    I have a 1981 XJ650H based UK bike, manufactured in Feb 1981 with a 1982 XJ650J (US) engine in there.

I guess that means that if i am ordering any engine/carb parts i should be ordering for an XJ650J (1982).
    Nick

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hey Nick.............yes, it sounds like you have a US 650 engine in there. So the engine parts should be ordered for a 1982 650 engine. Carbs are a bit trickier to identify, you have to make sure they are Hitachi carbs (should be) and that they are internally jetted for a 650 engine:

#110 main fuel jet
    #40 pilot fuel jet
    #50 main air jet
    #205 pilot air jet
    #Y-10 needles

The bike VIN for a 1981 Euro model XJ650 should be 4K0-xxxxxx, and my info indicates that the serial numbers started with 000101.

Therefore, I agree with you on this statement:

"So, in essence the way i see it is this.....
    I have a 1981 XJ650H based UK bike, manufactured in Feb 1981 with a 1982 XJ650J (US) engine in there."

3. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

Thanks for the response Len,
    This is what i actually have in the carbs

#110 main fuel jet
    #40 pilot fuel jet
    #50 main air jet
    #195 pilot air jet
    #Y-10 needles

Think i need bigger pilot air jet then?

4. chacal

Hey Niko----the #195 pilot air jets are correct for the 1980-81 650 engines (non-YICS), the '82-up 650's went with the larger (leaner fuel mixture) #205 air jets......is the engine a YICS engine? If so, the correct ones are the #205; if not, then the #195 size is correct.....although, using the #195's even with the YICS system won't do much harm, it's kinda of like re-jetting the bike for a slightly richer fuel mixture.

5. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

Aye,
    It's not a YICS model BUT i do have a 4-into-1 with Pods.
    I saw somewhere that i may or may not need to up the Jets.
    But that's a discussion for another day (and thread) :)
    Cheers

6. Veilside159

Veilside159 New Member

Hey Chacal! You clearly are the go to for xj questions...

So I have one for ya... This past weekend I purchased a 81 xj650 or so I was told.. Im not sure if it is or not so I have the only vin I could find on the bike... 5n8-000159 it has YICS or atleast it says so on the bike...

Im still trying to get it running... but its in rough shape so Im gona need some parts for it... I know so far I will need a seat a tach speedo a few different trim pieces and mirrors...

Also depending on what the vin says I need to get some misc parts aswell... I need the rubber tubes that connect the carbs to the block as they have some rot on them...

Thanks ahead of time!!!

7. chacal

Hey Veil.....it's a 1982 model (both the VIN and the YICS system verify that!). And it's one of the first 1982 models made (the 58th one, to be exact).

Send me a PM or e-mail with your list of parts needed and we'll get the ball rolling.......

8. Veilside159

Veilside159 New Member

Hi thanks so much for the fast response!!! Sorry I wasnt able to figure it out myself but my head was spinning after reading all the equations...

One question thou... So is this bike a xj650? or is there a different name for it?

Yep I got her for 200$ She is turning over rite now but I just cant seem to get her started... I've cleaned the carb bowls and figured out the fuse box as it was all messed up (robbed for fuses by a guerrilla apparently).

Rite now a friend of mine has the carbs and he is going through them better than I did... He is also a motorcycle mechanic so Im praying he is able to do a better job.

9. Metmop

Metmop Member

The Vin is always a good source of info. What I have found is the MOST effective is believe it or not yamaha themselves. If you go to the website
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... /home.aspx
    in the corner of the homepage click on my yamaha and sign up. Once you are registered for the site you can get in. You won't be able to register your bike (that only is 1990 and later) but you can look at all the parts lists. That is how I found out my 1983 XJ750K is supposed to have round head lights, it is supposed to have a simpler instrument cluster (like the 650).... I also can with a little research cross parts over. If i have a part number I can check it is real easy just pull it up on the puter. If they have a make and model the part came from I go to the site pull that make and model up and get that part number. I then write it down. I then pull up the same part on my bike if the part numbers are the same it is the same part..... While I am sure the CD is easier.... Until I get mine I have to do it this way.... Nothing against chacal or anyone else.... but the yamaha site should be the most reliable... in theory. But all it tells you is part numbers and shows the pics.. By the way as far as getting the parts once you find the part number.... that is where you call chacal :) I know I do....

10. chacal

The "in theory" part is the key phrase.

Although certainly useful, just be aware (and thus, beware!) that in some areas, the Yamaha parts diagrams and part numbers are not just a mess, but completely wrong. About a full 80% of my "free time" has been/is spent/probably will continue to be spent straightening out the obvious (and not so obvious) messes that exist within their system.......which is why it takes so long for me to update the info on the part I offer. Once incorrect information gets embedded within a system.....any type of system, computer system, parts diagrams, etc.....then it takes 20 times the effort to first unravel the mess and figure out what's REALLY supposed to be correct.

Many times I sit and stare in awe and bafflement as to how a Yamaha dealer EVER sold a person the correct part for their bike. It's that bad.

And if you send me just a list of Yamaha part numbers, expect a slow response from me, or a reply along the lines of "just tell me the year and model of your bike and what you're looking for" because that information is infinetly easier for me to work from rather than a 12-position part number!

11. Veilside159

Veilside159 New Member

So whats the verdict? is it a xj650?

12. chacal

Yes. It is a XJ650J models, otherwise known as an 1982 XJ650 Maxim!

13. Veilside159

Veilside159 New Member

So do you have nay of the parts I needed Chacal?

14. Veilside159

Veilside159 New Member

Hey one thing I am noticing now is that alot of part places have xj650j xj650lj and xj650rj...
    whats the difference and can you tell what mine is from the vin?

15. Metmop

Metmop Member

mental note... call chacal with part descriptions... i don't need my wish list lost in limbo....

16. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

The letters at the end tell the story.
    XJ650, j is '82 maxium, lj is '82 turbo, rj is an '82 Seca, the only year for the U.S.
    Look for Chacals vin number post you can find out were your ride was made, what number it was off the assembly line ect.