1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Hi,

A very good friend is moving out of town and decided to give me is old XJ project bike that he never had time to work on and didn't want to haul across the country.

This is an 85 XJ650 (I believe), he said that currently the bike is missing second gear. He also dropped off a second engine with all gears so I am guessing it would be easier to replace everything at once.

I have never worked on a bike before but have done plenty around the house and work on my cars (recently replaced struts on one of them).

I will be asking lots of questions on this forum and post progress on the bike. I will snap a few pictures and post them later on today.

2. ecologito

Re: A new project...

Here is the new project

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  3. fintip

fintip Member

Transmission and engine are one unit. Unless there's something wrong with the spare engine, they go together.

I assume you mean second gear is shot, not actually missing...

Swapping engines isn't that hard. Cracking the case to swap transmissions would be a very advanced job...

Bike looks unloved. You've got a journey ahead of you. Welcome to the club.

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

looks like a long road, but theres light at the end of the tunnel.

good luck and welcome!

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Where are you located? From the pic, that's a "Seca." So if it's a North American bike, it's an '82.

If you're elsewhere in the world, it could be a later example.

You've got a LOT of work to do; forget that "shop" thing, just way too expensive even if you found somebody who actually knows their way around XJs. You can do this, but it won't be quick, easy or cheap.

Before you do anything, get compression tests on both motors. That way you'll have some idea what you're facing.

6. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

ecologito,

Welcome and what they^ said. If you do a top to bottom, front to rear resto this would probably make the "TOP 10 WORST CONDITIONED TO RECOMMISSIONED CATAGORY". Very possible, but A LOT of work ahead of you. You will have to be organized. Providing you have a good plat to work from (good compression numbers on one of the engines) I'd purchase a manual(s) and a multimeter. Start stripping, labeling and familiarizing yourself with the bike and begin the rebuild with the chapter on the "starting system". I'd clean, test and re-connect EVERYTHING associated with the starting system to see if the bike shows signs of "life". If it starts, I'd dis-able the bike by removing the front, rear, or both tires to prevent myself from taking it for a "little spin" and possibly having the brakes fail or "lock-up" until you have completed the "front forks", "final gear", "brakes" and "tires" chapters rebuild and to allow time for you to complete the other "necessary" maintenance before the bike is "road" ready. Whether it starts or not get the shims in spec and complete the "fuel system" and "tune-up" chapters. When you have completed a "running sync" including no leaks at the valve cover and "exhaust system" your bike should start and "purr" like a kitten. I would then move to the forks and final gear/adjust the shocks. Rebuild the MC and front caliper including brake lines and lever. Replace the front pads and rear drums. Adjust the front lever and rear brake pedal. Inspect WHEELS for damage and condition of wheel bearings before you buy new tires. Inspect, repair and or replace ALL components of the "clutch" assembly. I'd then do the remaining "electricals" to ensure all other electronics are properly functioning correctly (i.e. headlight, turn signals, rear brake light). And here's where I'm at with mine. It's also my first bike. I didn't ride it for six months learning and doing all of this. I took my wheels/tires to a local shop. They also blasted my fork caps and front brake caliper cylinder. I did all the other work with the aid of this forum and the manual. So, yes, it's possible...but like other members have stated, "It's going to take time". If you do decide to rebuild it you should keep this thread going...I'd like to follow your progress. Good Luck and hope this helps.

Gary

7. ecologito

Thanks for the advise and words of encouragement. I am in Charlotte, NC so it is a US model. The guy who gave it to me said that the spare power train works and he saw it running about two years ago, after that he took over this project and sat in his shed until 2 days ago.

I will be doing a lot of reading and getting myself familiar with this bike. I have already found plenty of spare parts online relatively inexpensive. We'll see where this project takes me.

I will keep y'all posted and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions as the restoration project moves along.

8. bigfitz52

Cool. If it's an American-market bike, then like I said, it's a 1982 XJ650RJ Seca.

We only got the 650 Seca for the one model year. 'Twarn't any '85s.

And I thought mine was in rough shape.

9. ecologito

Here are a few more shots of this project. The first thing I will do is at least give it a good wash, clean everything, get a new battery and go from there. I will follow the above recommendations about what systems restore first.

Since this is going to be a long process I will have to keep things on task and the right order otherwise I can see this being a bit overwhelming.

First things first so I will have to make a trip to the DMV and call my insurance agent, don't wanna pay stupid fines for a toy that is not running yet.

Attached Files:

10. ecologito

After watching some videos on youtube and going through a manual, I decided to do a bit of cleaning. It is obvious now that a lot of modifications have been done to the bike. Some of them more pleasant than other but none the less modifications and since it looks like most of them need some love I will start looking for parts and pieces.

Attached Files:

11. ecologito

So step one is to read a lot whoch i am in the process off doing. Youtube is also handy to visually see how to do when an image is worth a thousand words and a video... Well might as well stop reading :)

I have been looking for a video of somebody replacing an engine but so far no luck. If you know of one please let me know. This weekend I will start testing by getting a new battery and take things apart. Remove seat, gas tank and exhaust headers.

If you have any tricks of the trade feel free to share, if somebody wants to stop by and help I can pay with beer :)

12. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

First thing you need to do is test the compression on both engines. You'll need a battery, but any jump starter will do. You can even spin the motor off a car battery (CAR OFF!)

You can do it with the engine off the frame, you just need 12V across the terminals of the starter. If you turn over the bike with a new battery in the frame, off the electrical system (and it all works) you'll need to keep the coils from firing by either disconnecting them or the TCI.

Compression is the most important thing. You don't want to start dumping time and money into a project if you'll be needing another engine.

What mods do you see to the bike (other than flat black paint and a bunch of crud :D )? All I see is the exhaust and maybe a horn?

There has been a lot of talk recently about pulling the engine. Do a search. The hardest part is managing the bulk, I've done it twice now on two different XJs and it's not hard. Coincidentally, I did it the hard (haynes manual) way, there is a lot of advice out there to make it even easier.

Finally, why are you bothering with insurance? I don't know what the rules in your state are, but you ain't gonna be riding that any time soon (unless you works some magic...and I've seen it done on this site). Hopefully you only have to title it in your name for now, and can deal with registration/inspection/insurance once you are much closer to getting it road worthy. Don't mistake "running" for road worthy. You'll want to get the whole brakes/bearings/tires/electrical/suspension up to snuff before attempting to put it on the road.

13. ecologito

Thanks for all the pointers Manbot,

After a long wait on the phone with the DMV they told me that I did not have to register / get plates since this motorcycle can't be inspected. You are right, all I have to do is get the title under my name until it is "road ready". I didn't know that so thanks for the advise.

The previous owner told me that the current engine in the frame had issues with second gear (he said it was missing, not sure what he meant if it was shut, slipped or else) so he also gave me a spare engine that he saw tested and running and called that "the good one" so I my intentions are to get this "good one" on the bike since I truly have no clue what is wrong with the "bad one".

In regards of modifications The tail light is ugly as crap since it is attached with a piece of black sheet metal. Under the seat I found what was meant to be the fuse panel with no fuses. They modified the wiring to have individual fuse cases hanging not really secured (I do want it to look neat and organized)

The single multi gauge (tachometer / speedometer) is not the stock one nor looks good. At this time it does not have a fuel gauge or volt gauge at all. Yes the flat black paint (or what is left of it) looks awful so that is on the "to do" list but most likely at the bottom of it.

I will need to research a little more about testing compression on the engine that is off the frame.

This morning I started taking this apart (removed seat and gas tank with gas that is 2 years old), and got the exhaust mainfold loose.

14. ManBot13

For a bike that rough, I suggest Aero-Kroil. It's a penetrating lubricate that works wonders. Not one broken fastener on my turbo-seca that sat for 20 years before I restored it.

https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs.com ... ogle.shtml

You'll be replacing the fuse box with a blade style one anyway, even if the stock on was "fine."

Again, good or bad, compression test both. You might find the "bad" engine to have transmission issues, but the "good" one has bad compression, in which case you could swap out the transmission internals. But I think that's best done with the engine out of the bike (not sure, very had to dive any deeper than valve clearances on mine).

15. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Ecologito,

If the parts engine shows bad compression numbers, top-end rebuild it. Use the parts necessary from both engines to build one solid engine. You'd have to dis-assemble down to the crankcase to crack the engine for a transmission rebuild anyway.

Gary

16. ecologito

Manbot when you say that the compression test can be accomplished with the engine off the frame, please elaborate a bit on how to do that, bear with me if you dont mind. I found a compression testing kit on ebay for under $30 so that will be on the way today (unless I can pick one at autozone)

17. ManBot13

Make sure your compression tester has a 14mm fitting (for your bike). If another bike is in your future, for instances, an XJ550, then get one with a 12mm fitting too.

If the engine hasn't been turned over, you might want to fog the cylinders first, just to make sure the cylinder walls aren't dry after years of sitting. But all you have to do to turn the engine over is put 12V onto the starter (where the cable attaches), and ground to the engine case. As soon as you do, then engine will start spinning.

I used a car jump starter which has an on/off switch, so no sparks or accidental touching or grounding. If you use the start switch/button on the bike, then your starter solenoid, button, switch, ignition, and all of the wiring in between need to be working. Doing the test off the frame eliminates them from the picture. And you need to pull the engine anyway....

18. bigfitz52

Although it doesn't apply in this case; when it's a "complete" bike you want to unplug the TCI (ignition "black box") to prevent damage to it. And yes, you should be able to pick up a compression tester kit at AutoZone; that's where I got one of mine.

19. ecologito

All right I stopped at autozone and picked up the kit with the riht fitting and a new battery that I will need anyway. I will test the motor that is on the frame first, swap motors and then test the second one that should have the good gears. Thank you all for all your patience with me and i can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help (and I just getting started) so I will keep all he questions coming as work moves along.

Work on this project may take some time since I have a 12 week old baby and she takes quite a bit of my time :)

20. bigfitz52

You can test the "replacement" motor out of the frame. All you need is somebody to hold it, and then just connect up a battery to the starter and it will spin. If the carbs are off, all the better, you don't need to hold the throttles open.

No sense installing the mill and then finding out it has "issues."