1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Added ALOT of water to battery

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Stumplifter, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Winterizing the beloved two wheeler.

2 year old battery, removed from bike and brought down into the basement to be placed on trickle charger. Had to add over 180 ml of distilled water across all cells - this seems like an awful lot. 8O
    Last winter there was a need to add water but nothing near this amount.

I recall checking voltage on the battery this spring while the bike was running and slightly reved - I believe it maxed out around 13.8 volts. I ass-u-me this would mean that the charging system is ok.

Any ideas/ thoughts?

TIA

2. depthcharge711

depthcharge711 New Member

I was told anything below 14.4V at 2000 rpms means a weak charging system. I would start with cleaning all connectors. From what I read about the batteries you might be boiling the battery. I read something about it here on the forums. Hopefully someone with more insight can chime in.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It should read 14.5V (+/-0.3V) above 2200rpm.

If the most you were seeing was 13.8V then you need to attend to the charging system. How many miles on the bike? It might simply be time for alternator brushes.

As for the water in the battery, the XJs seem to be really hard on battery water levels even when everything's working as it should. I'm in the habit of checking mine at least once a week in peak riding season, and often have to add water.

4. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Fitz is right (as usual) :D about these liking to evaporate H2O. Way back in time when I had my Seca in for service (I actually had this done at the recommended intervals when it was new) the service manager at the dealership said my battery was quite low on water and that these bikes like to do that.

So I would agree that what you're seeing is normal.

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Agree .. you chould check the water in the battery more than once every 2 years. I have to add a little to mine every few months.

6. albran

albran Member

These replies about XJ’s using water being normal makes me feel better.

I exposed the plates a couple of times the first summer.
    Started checking and adding water every other month or so, thought something was wrong but it and the charging system always tested ok, just using a lot of water???

ab

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i just replaced my 4 year old gel-cell, never checked the water once but it doesn't sound like fun

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

haha smartass.

im going to get a gel batt. when it comes time for a new batt.

but i have had the sam experience as others - the first time i realized mine was crazy low, so since then i've made an effort to check it at least every two weeks when i'm riding regualaraly, and on long trips.

9. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

I have an AGM battery came with my 900.I'm wrapped in it. holds a charge for what seems like forever and requires nil maintenance.
    I'll never buy another type of battery.Well until the next tech leap anyway.

10. maximike

maximike Member

Huh, I used to have to add water to mine, seems like. The first battery I had, when I replaced it, the guy said, "you can go with a slightly better battery, or another one like it has in it." Then he said, "the one in it is five years old." I said, "wait, the battery I've been riding around with for months and just now died is five years old? Well, give me another of the same then." But that one didn't last longer than two years, because of failing alternator brushes.

The one I have on there now is about a year old. (bought at same time I fixed alternator) I just pulled it off the bike the other day to put it on a trickle charger(no garage, no outlet on the street) and I expected to have to add water. Nope. In fact, because the guy at the store filled it, not me, it's actually just over the "full" marks on every cell. (I would have gone slightly lower, but he was probably counting on a little evaporation)

So you can get water to stay in a battery in these bikes, but don't ask me what the secret is. I'm guessing this battery just has a little better seal at the caps, along with fresh alternator brushes so the water isn't "cooked" out by over taxing the battery.

11. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I pull my battery once a month. I check the charge and add distilled H2O as needed (usually very little). I put it on a trickle charge and watch the time to see how long it takes for the lights to go from yellow to green. I need to purchase a hydrometer to check the specific gravity of each cell tho.

Gary

12. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Will need to wait until the battery goes back in next spring and will be sure to get RPM's up to 2,200 and check voltage. Not sure what RPM I was at with the 13.8v reading.

43,000 miles on the bike - is checking alternator brushes complicated?

Good to know this is a habit of the bikes and will check battery fluid level more frequently.

Thanks everybody! :-D

13. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Checking the Alternator Brushes is pretty easy.
    Undo the 3 Cap Bolts securing the Cover to the case.
    Pull the Cover away from the Ending Case minding the gasket doesn't snag and become broken.

Look inside the Cover for the Brushes attached to a Pedestal-mount affixed to the inside of the Cover.

Measure the Length of the Brushes protruding from their Mounts.

10mm or less requires replacement Brushes.