1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Adjusting newly-cleaned carbs (no Yics-tool)..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FinnogAngela, Apr 20, 2007.

1. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Thanks Rick; yes - that sounds very similar to my problem.

I did clean the starter jet passages (watched the cleaner seep through the small hole into the float bowl) but might have missed the #1 - also sprayed through the siphon tunes but found it difficult to check whether all was "free flowing".

Gonna pull them the third time - and probably take the opportunity to replace the float bowl mounting screws with allen headed ones this time..

About the free YICS tool: Is there a substitute for Marvel Mystery oil - as I don´t think it´s available in Europe (WD40 or..)?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Something of a light Petro-product with properties that will withstand the heat without having dangerously low flammability should do the trick.

Brake fluid and fork oil come to mind .. I guess.

3. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Ok - off for the third time (good practice...)

Found one or 2 (partially) clogged starter jet passages - right now they are soaking in carb spray. Thanks to "xjyamaha" for the tip on checking free passage with a pen light (see pic) in the thread: 1980 Maxim runs but won't go!

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... rt=15.html

All siphon tubes drips with carb cleaner when I spray it in the side-hole just above the enrichment valve seat - is this good enough?

Also found on the XJCD, in the article about cleaning the Mikuni Carbs, by Jeff "The Mountin Man":

"I've said this before -

Soak the pilot jets. Soak the pilot jets. Soak the pilot jets.

The passage size and shape makes it next to impossible to completely clean them otherwise. One small particle that is missed is very likely to clog them once more and any deposits left are a foothold for future deposits. When the pilots clog up, the engine will be next to impossible to start, idle, and will not sound right. Should you clean the carbs and end up with a "cold" cylinder, most likely something clogged a pilot jet.

For those that have never seen the pilot jets. Consider that after they are so clean as to look new, it is very hard to hold them just right and see the opening. A single grain of sand could stop them up. Get the picture? White-room clean and an in-line fuel filter after all the hard work."

And sure enough - the pilot jet in #1 carb had barely visible passage (after blowing in it none at all!) compared to the other 2 (my #4 has an abused slot so I´m hesitant to try and remove it - maybe tomorrow, if I can grind a screwdriver to fit..).

The 3 are now soaking...

(and I thought I was very careful cleaning and blowing with compressed air the first time....hm..)

Attached Files:

4. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Do a forum search for "douche dog snot." :D As I was asked last year, when you cleaned the carbs, did you REALLY clean the carbs?

All part of the learning experience.

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm flattered Eblo! You remembered!

6. RickCoMatic

You're feeling better about getting this thing Purrin' like a liddle kiddy-cad ... huh???

Don't think it's all about those jets ... I want you to fill the Float Bowls and use that penlight to check on the level in the drilled-out WELL in the Float Bowl wall; too.

And ... the Tubes that go in there.
    Nothing overlooked before buttoning these babies up!

7. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

"Those who don't' know history are destined to repeat it." I'm just trying to save others from the same frustration I put myself through.

8. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Thanks guys;

Oblivion: I thread were others have threaded before me :)

There´s just no way but forward (as this thing until now sounds like a soar-throated dog.. :)

Will do..

Ok; will try to find a suitable tool..

Furthermore:

The Pilot Jet with the chewed-up slot:

[​IMG]

Should I try to get it out - or try to clean it and blow it through while sitting there (figure I then have to remove the diaphragm to ensure it won´t be damaged - I am not aware of the internal passages in the carb body yet)?

(I had it out in my first cleaning attempt - and I can still poke a small nylon bristle through it..)

9. RickCoMatic

If you are not going to be comfortable in your own skin for not removing that Jet ... you may use pliers to remove it ... provided you don't squeeze the poor little buggered Jet and break it.

10. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Hm... I tried with pliers - but it´s difficult to get a grip, as I because of the rack have to go sideways in.

I think I´ll leave it for now; the corresponding cylinder is running fine and I won´t risk breaking it (that would be a major set-back).

Googled "Hitachi Pilot Jets" and the smallest size available (#38) was at http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Hitachi_jet_list_W40.cfm.

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

Have you tried a little heat from a hair dryer? I've been very successful with the screwdriver tapping method. As you already should have a perfectly shaped and fitting screwdriver handy for removing these jets, I'm going to suggest you fit it into the slot and, while it is firmly seated, tap on the handle like a chisel. Not too much but a sharp rap, all the while maintaining tension on the screwdriver in the counterclockwise direction.
    I've had a great deal of success with this (only buggered one jet this way because I didn't hold the screwdriver down hard enough), give it a shot. Of course, it never hurts to have a replacement jet on hand before attempting this. #365 Hitachi, hmmm... is it really hard to find these? I'm sure we could source one for you and have it shot out to you inside a week. I'll poke around in my junk box, bound to be one somewhere.

12. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Robert, I decided to let it stay, as I don´t have a spare. Gave it a little carbcleaner and some gentle pressure air. But if someone has an extra, I´m in the market :)

Motorcyclecarbs was the closest with their thirtyeight (don´t know why my last post insisted on putting a smiley instead of the 8..). A couple of others had 40 as the smallest.

Anyway, I´m at the (hopefully) final fuel level bench check - after spending most of the day getting one of the old (rounded) float valves out (succeded with a slightly grinded allen-bit whacked down as an extractor) - and cleaning the starter jet passages in the float bowls; must have sprayed, q-tipped, blown and pen-lighted them about a 100 times...But now they pass the "equal fuel level in bowl and siphon-tube well" test :)

Whev...and still perfect riding weather outside..

13. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Succes! (sort of...)

Well I think I´m finished for now..

Installed for the third time - much easier than the previous two because of the sunshine and fairly hot weather; that had a remarkable impact on the softness of the airbox rubber boots.

Bike runs on all 4 cylinders - and after a final sync and the colortuning, runs nice and smooth and pulls like a champ.

Only thing is i had to turn out the mixture screws rather uneven to get the blue flame i settled on - ½-1/4 back from where it showed the last flicker of yellow. One I had to turn 5 full turns out to get the yellow flame and settled for 4½ turns. The others more "normal, about 3 to 3½ turn.

I figure I´ll go over them again when I get the Yics tool made.

Also: Choke is (still) not working. Bike won´t start with full choke..About1/8 choke gets it started but running very poor/uneven.

I have to "help" the idle the first couple of minutes otherwise it will fall below 500rpms and die.

Guess I´ll at some time has to return to the starter jet passages (which I spend hours cleaning, see above, next time I´ll take my time to let them soak betwen cleaning attempts) and the siphon tubes: sprayed carb-cleaner through them and watched it drip out of them but didn´t probe anything through them, I must admit. Will do next time, promise :oops:

So - I´ll live with the not-so-perfect starting for now and enjoy some riding and attend to the carbs again if the problem gets worse or the season ends - whichever comes first.

Thanks everybody for input and help - I´m enjoying the smooth ride 8)

Finally adding a couple of pics: One of my stuck float valve-extractor, made of a cut off allen-wrench grinded to make it slightly narrower at the end and making the edges sharper to get a better grip...

And the upgrade of my float bowl screws to SS Allen-heads - so I can adjust float levels if necessary and do other bottom end check-ups - such as replacing the bad-slotted pilot jet, if I find a replacement :)

Attached Files: