1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Advice/help needed-let's beef up my 550!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Littleberg, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Littleberg

Littleberg New Member

Yes, I've got an 82 maxim xj550 with 11,000 miles. It's a great bike, I call it the "Toyota Corolla of bikes". Great MPG, runs great, and does what it's supposed to do, no bells or whistles, but....
    I wanna do some work to this thing. I've grown tired of big comfy large seat, the looks, etc.
    I really like the looks of cafe racers. My plan-seca gas tank, custom seat, and chop off some of the back end.
    Also, I want to do feed this some performance enhancing drugs...or parts. I'm thinking air pods, new jet kit, and exhaust. I want this to sounds and perform a little mean. That's where I need help.
    What type of air pods are available, and what should I be looking for?
    What type of exhaust will give me that mean sound and performance?
    What type of jets will I have to replace in the carbs?

This is a great community of bike enthusiasts, so please don't write me saying "Sell the bike, buy a bigger one". That's such a generic response. I want to get my hands dirty. I've already put a lot of time into this bike, so I really want to keep it. Let me know what you all are thinking! Thanks

2. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

i dont know how crazy you want to get, but i think mega cycles makes cams for these things.

you could always have some headwork done.

im thinking about shaving the jug to up compression a bit on my bike

keihin FCR carbs are very high performance, when tuned correctly they SCREAM!!!

a 4:1 exhaust is probably best, or 4:2, for scavenging purposes and sound quality.

and then there is the extreme....what i am probably going to do this winter....TURBOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :D

3. rdbhere2

rdbhere2 Member

You can get pods and carb jets at crc2onlinecatalog.com at a good price. You can pop out the caps on the rear of your exhaust for a deeper sound.
    Ten inch rear shocks, solo seat,flat rear fender.I'm sorry, was i rambling.(hehe)

4. scoy

scoy New Member

Do the pod air filters. I just installed them in a few hours over the weekend. It sounds so much better and it looks pretty sweet too!

I got the filters at Old Bike Barn. I'll list the product number and description below. If you get them I'd call first. I tried to order before but they didn't have them in stock. It took them a week to let me know my order wouldn't be processed.

175732 - Chrome Pod Air Filter 52mm

Be warned: my bike had plastic moldings that covered the air box and battery. I think they said 'Maxim 550' and they're small plastic triangles. Since they mounted to the stock air box they can't be used. I'd be fine with that except the battery is now in plain sight. Since the air box is gone there's room to stuff it further under the seat and hide it. I just need to create some sort of mount for it.

Attached Files:

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

A word of advice--the XJ's (and especially the little 550) are already very highly tuned in stock trim. Yes, you CAN increase performance, but it will take a LOT of fiddling for a relatively small increase. Usually what happens is you get a bigger hit at some point in the power band but GIVE UP something to get it, like low-speed smoothness, fuel economy, etc. You will find that you can MOVE the powerband "hump" around a bit, but the Yamaha engineers really hit the nail on the head, ALL-AROUND performance-wise. Save your stock parts, you may wish for them back again...then again, certain XJ600 motors are a drop-fit...

6. schooter

schooter Active Member

man i want pods so bad, but i odnt wanna rejet and i dont have the money right now because i need to pay for cycle lessons and a new clutch and forks and blah blah blah

7. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

ugh, i dont know why so many people flip out about pods. you can install pods to a stock set up and not rejet.... if you make the exhaust free flowing and have pods THEN you run into a problem.