1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket ignition

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JPaganel, Apr 16, 2014.

1. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

I have been researching the options for replacing the ignition in my 550 Seca. The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of replacing a 30 year old piece of electronics with another 30 year old piece of electronics. I am going to collect what I find in this post for reference. I will edit in more info as I find it.

Hyperpak

Made by Electronic Research and Development
    http://www.erd.co.nz/

Cost ~$180

Hyperpak is a sealed ignition module directly replacing the original TCI. ERD appears to be a small company in NZ, the modules can be ordered either directly by contacting them on their website or found on eBay.

Pro: simple plug and play installation
    Con: few reviews specific to XJ platform

Direct Ignition TCI

Made by IMF Soft
    http://electronic-ignition-system.com/default.asp

Cost 177 Euro (~$245 as of this writing)

Direct Ignition is a programmable TCI. It should be able to work with just about any bike, since the advance curve is adjustable via a software package. They also sell several types of crank sensors. IMF is a Czech company. The website is a little weird, probably due to the language barrier. Software package comes with the module. The company tells me this product will soon be replaced with a newer version.

Pros: Adjustable, able to tune the curve
    Cons: somewhat expensive

SPARKER TCI

Made by IgniTech
    http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

Cost ~$135 plus shipping

This is a sealed unit like Hyperpak. It's a direct replacement to the factory box, with a matching connector available for $5. To order you need to contact the company via the website. Shipping is $50, though.

Pros: Simple installation
    Cons: Pricey shipping

SPARKER TCI-P4

Made by IgniTech
    http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

Cost ~$145

This is a programmable version of Sparker TCI above. For an extra $10 you get the same box, but with a serial port that can be connected to your computer. Modern computers might not have a serial port, but serial to USB converter dongles are available. IgniTech will sell you one for a reasonable $16. The programming software is available on the IgniTech site. Looks to be not as fancy as the IMF, but should work fine.

Pros: Simple installation, tunable
    Cons: Might be hard to tune, pricey shipping

DIY ignition with GM HEI modules

Made by your self with readily available parts
    http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb ... EImod.html

Cost: $35-50

This setup uses a pair of GM HEI ignition modules available at any parts store for $10 a piece or so. Relatively easy wiring.

HEI modules are basically solid state switches. This setup is commonly used to replace points and condenser, retaining the mechanical advance. I am told that Kawasaki bikes had a TCI and mechanical advance, and the advance mechanism might be adaptable to XJ.

Pros: Cheap
    Cons: Lack of timing advance.

DIY ignition from scratch

Made by your own self
    http://www.sportdevices.com/ignition/ignition.htm

Cost uncertain

For the really adventurous, these guys offer plans on how to build a programmable TCI ignition. They also explain the differences between TCI and CDI.

Pros: Adjustable, tunable, possibly cheap
    Cons: Loads of work. This requires building everything from scratch, including the programmer device and the programming software. Need to have a bunch of skills for this

Another DIY from scratch

http://thebitwiserebellion.com/blog/201 ... onversion/

This one is super-cheap at around $12 total. Instructions are straightforward. However, it suffers from the same thing as the HEI ignition - no timing advance. So, a mechanical advance would have to be retrofitted.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know for a fact that Len has a few field-tested and known-good pre-owned TCI units for the 550s. No idea on price, you'd have to ask him.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

4. z32800

z32800 Member

I put a Hyperpak TCI unit in my 750 and the bike has never gone better; can only but highly recommend.

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Here is another for you:

IgniTech.

This is the unit I have on my Venture. There is a guy in the Venture world that packages them as a kit with the harness adapter and MAP sensor the Venture requires. He also loads the Venture timing curve into them.

Their site lists the XJ as one of the models supported so they may have already created the XJ map.

6. JPaganel

Thanks, Fitz. I will check, but I am still wary - old electronics is old electronics.

I have added the ignition solutions Polock and MiCarl suggested, with some comments.

7. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

8. JPaganel

I sent questions to the Czechs and had IMF reply. I updated with what info they gave me. IgniTech wants more information on the XJ, we will talk further.

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

10. JPaganel

11. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I know several people using the Ignitech although they are on twins and singles, but based on their results it's what I'd be going for

12. JPaganel

I heard back from IgniTech. They wanted pictures of connectors for pinout and a schematic from a manual. I sent all of this off to them and they replied.

They have two versions, a programmable and a sealed one. I added the info to the original post.

13. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hey
    So which ignition system did you choose?
    Ignitech looks promising, but for some reason IMF Soft looks more appealing to me.

I found a few more related links, even so it's more about CDI.
    http://www.transmic.net/de/links.htm

Regards
    Christoph

14. JPaganel

I got the Sparker sealed unit from Ignitech. Works great.

The funny thing is, I later figured out where the bad solder was in the OEM units I had, and I fixed them, replacing the output transistors. So now I have two spares.

Beck likes this.
  15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Why would you want to have two 30 year old spares? lol

16. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Solid state electronics is purty durable. Electrolytic capacitors being the one exception of course. I purchased an ERD hyperpak for my 750 though... kinda worked the same as the TCI I reworked haha, alhtough I'm sure its MUCH better :)

17. Christoph

Christoph New Member

After some further reading I think Ignitech is the best choice. Fairly cheap ... cds1984 is right, the caps are more of a problem than solid state components. But at some point you want something reliable, not some "maybe" device.

Regarding ignition problems and further people finding this via search... In my case my ignition seems to be ok even so I was pretty sure it's damaged. It just seems not to tolerate voltage drops very well, which occur when crancing and running at low RPM. Especially when you have bad connections (which is probably always the case with 30y old rides), low temperaturs and maybe a old battery...
    Connecting the Ignition directly to the battery seemed to help much. (Directly = using a relay which is switched on by the original power supply of the ignition box. And a fuse, just to be safe ).

18. garyS-NJ

garyS-NJ Member

I know this is an old-ish thread but maybe still current. I just sent email to ignitech but my TCI is still good. Seems I just have a bad pick-up coil for my '83 XJ550 maxim (bottom pick up which fires the #2/3 cylinder coil). I must assume the only option for an open pickup coil (yes, I will make sure the wiring is good), is to replace with 30 yo ebay stock parts?

19. Mavrick9

Mavrick9 New Member

I have a xj550. I am living in Jamaica what is my best option for replacing this tci? It is the only thing that is standing between me and the completion of my project.

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Mavrick, we should have a good used original TCI available, contact us for more details: info@xj4ever.com