1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Air Filter Pods

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Yx600 86, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Yx600 86

Yx600 86 New Member

Hello

This is for my YX600, I’m not certain whether it would be the same for the XJ550.

I’ve recently removed my carbs and given them a clean. The engine is running on pods and the carbs seem correctly jetted because the bike was running well, except, on hot days the idle creeps to 3-4K hence the clean and search for a vacuum leak.

The pods have been squished and contorted - particularly the outer 2, as they come into contact with the frame because they are just too long.

One of them has been butchered on the seal to try to shorten it but the rubber seal that fits over the air intake has split. It was hidden under the clamp.

My ask is simple - I’m in the UK - does anyone know or can recommend a set of air filter pods that fit comfortably on the YX (possibly the same as the XJ550) that are a decent quality.

Not all the ones I see advertised give clear dimensions.

Many thanks

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Yx600 86

Yx600 86 New Member

Great thank you. Definitely agree on the quality. I’ll take some measurements and see what fits.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Some of the pods block air into the top vent of the carb inlet. Make sure you get a good quality POD as stated above or you might not like how the bike runs.

5. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

So I hear a of of issues with Pods or warning against them. I'm going to start with the K&N large air box filter from Chacal but may want to do Pods to clean up that middle section in the future, honestly it looks great too.
    Who has had success when using quality Pods?
    Do you need to use the Carb-to-Airbox Boots with the pods for a more regulated airflow so it doesn't pass the top area of the inlet.

6. XJ550H

adding the airboot or stacks will help with the air turbulance
    pods work to a point but not like the stock configuration. from what i can tell your riding style will affect weather you think the pods are working well.
    I had picked up a podder worked on jetting if you need the power it was not there.
    back to the air box ans stock jets different bike better fuel mileage

if your a flat land rider it will go ok but top end is lost

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. XJ550H

first issues are running lean and burning a hole in the piston. so you have to find a proper size jet to change that and the bigger jets more fuel.
    second issue is performance loss of quickness and top end