1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alternator brush wears to nothing, other one still good

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ricksta, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Ricksta

Ricksta New Member

Hey Y'all,
    I am on my third set of alternator brushes for my 1981 XJ Maxim 550 this summer. Each time that I've installed a new set I made sure to clean up the rotor face really well. I thought I had it damn near perfect, but there seems to be some slight imperfections in the copper wire strip underneath the brush that keeps wearing down too quickly. The imperfections are like slight pits in the surface about 3/32" in depth. Should I try to sand down the entire rotor face to this level? I Know how to use finer and finer grits to accomplish this, but I thought I better get some input before I do it. Also, could there be any other reason why just one brush keeps wearing down after riding about 300 miles? I really appreciate your help with this problem, I am tired of dealing with the effect instead of the cause!

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If the Brushes Race Orbit is "Pitted" from excessive arcing, ... the Alternator Rotor needs to be replaced.

If you cant "Clean-up" the two Orbit Paths with an Old Style "Round-wheel type" Typewriter Eraser, ... the arcing has permanently damaged the Rotor.

If you have been through a Brush in less than a Month, ...
    Start looking for a used Rotor.